Ultra DMA 33/100/133 Compatibility?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ok...my one question is....
If a motherboard supports the Ultra DMA 33....would it be able to support the Ultra DMA 100 or Ultra DMA 133 harddrive???

Quick Update

Hehe...
I think I just answered my own question...
Took a chance and installed the hdd and when i booted up, XP recognized that I just installed a new drive!

Now all i gotta do is partition it and format it...

I'll keep you updated...

Well, not exactly. Would you be able to use an ATA100 or 133 drive, Yes, and it should work fine. Will you be able to get ATA100 or 133 performance difference, no.

This means you should be able to use it but the drive probably won't be any faster than your current drive, just bigger.

You might also want to check to make sure your BIOS supports large drives(usually 8+ GB is considered large by older systems) If it doesn't you may be able to upgrade or flash the BIOS or you can usually use a utility like Maxtor's MaxBlast to work around the problem.

Originally posted by StormBringer
Well, not exactly. Would you be able to use an ATA100 or 133 drive, Yes, and it should work fine. Will you be able to get ATA100 or 133 performance difference, no.

This means you should be able to use it but the drive probably won't be any faster than your current drive, just bigger.

You might also want to check to make sure your BIOS supports large drives(usually 8+ GB is considered large by older systems) If it doesn't you may be able to upgrade or flash the BIOS or you can usually use a utility like Maxtor's MaxBlast to work around the problem.

It's all good...I just partitioned and format it using MaxBlast and it works great...Thanx....
Don't really care about the speed though...not really important...what's more important is the size...cuz I had only 700mb left on my 8 gig drive....

Thanx for the help....

Glad it worked out for you. That MaxBlast utility works pretty good as a work around for older boards. :grinthumb

Free PCI Slot?

If you have a free pci slot then you can get a ATA100/133 controller card and get increased performance out of your hard drive.

Re: Free PCI Slot?

Originally posted by SNGX1275
If you have a free pci slot then you can get a ATA100/133 controller card and get increased performance out of your hard drive.

Really?
How much do one of these cards cost about?

I should look into it if it's cheap...

Thanx...

cards without any kind of extra RAID function are VERY cheap. here in the UK they are about £20-£25. Of course it will cost you a PCI slot but you will be able to add another 4 hard drives to your system if you wanted.

cards with RAID functions are more expensive (about £150 or so). more or less i think you could just call the £££ the $$$ so it would be about $25 and $150 for these two products respectively.... I haven't checked this or anything but that would be my estimation. certainly the IDE controller card without RAID should be VERY cheap...

I just happened to be looking at a JDR catalog and they have the 100 cards for $39, the 133 is $49. they have RAID controllers starting at $55 an going way up from there.

Just found on computer123.com that you can get a 100 pci card for $22 with free shipping in the US, but if you don't live in the US then might be better off not buying from them.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back