Ultrabook makers pushing Intel for 50% discount on CPUs

Jos

Intel is pushing hard to make "Ultrabooks" hot-selling items in the upcoming holiday season, investing in manufacturers that innovate on hardware design and providing a bill of materials to show…

Read the whole story

gwailo247

Intel: "So just so I'm clear on this, you want me to take a cut in my profits so that you can have bigger profits?"
Vendors: "Yes."
Intel: "Why don't you take a (expletive deleted) Bulldozer and (expletives deleted) and then you'll (expletive deleted) a diamond. Then you can use that diamond to pay me the quoted price."
Vendors: "I guess that's a no."
Intel: "Are you sure? We have a partnership with Unilever, I'm sure they can provide one of their petroleum based products to make the Bulldozer to diamond transition more pleasant."

Archean

Why don't Intel simply make one for themselves? That would only increase their profit. Although I am not sure how 'Intel Inside' will look on an Intel made notebook. :rolleyes:

Xero07

Archean said:
Why don't Intel simply make one for themselves? That would only increase their profit. Although I am not sure how 'Intel Inside' will look on an Intel made notebook. :rolleyes:
They don't have the manufacturing facilities to assemble laptops. They would also have to make connections with display manufacturers and other part manufacturers they dont make.

Archean

I know, but if others are dragging their feet (with some genuine + some not so genuine) issues, you have only two options a) ditch the idea, b) do it your self.

captaincranky

I hope they hit the street with "ultra books" soon, so I can get not buying one out of the way quickly.

It will be a satisfying process, almost as satisfying as not buying an iPad, and not regretting it one bit.

If any of you think picking up a standard notebook is too difficult a test of physical ability, go try picking up the cylinder head to a Cummins diesel.

Archean

I don't think standard notebooks are any 'difficult' to carry around, I mean look around you'll see many 'physically challenged' people carrying around xxxx lbs of 'extra' weight.

I still haven't made up my mind about these thin notebooks, that are they just fad or is there a future for them. Although I am leaning towards the earlier.