Unable to click show hidden files and folders

Status
Not open for further replies.

Otmakus

Earlier today I was called to a friend's place to repair his computers, I installed avast and ad aware with latest updates, and it turned out 3 of his computers (networked) were infected with win32.QQRob-BF.

I deleted all the infected files, but run and search command were missing from start menu and regedit had been disabled, so I corrected them in the registry and they appeared again.

But right before I left, I found that whenever I checked the "Show hidden files and folders" in folder options and click ok/apply, nothing happened and the hidden files couldn't be seen. When I opened folder options again, the "Do not show hidden files and folders" was rechecked again. I didn't have time to look around in the registry or to download and install hijackthis. I intend to go there again tomorrow to correct this problem, so if anyone can show me how to restore the show hidden files ability, that will save me a lot of time and I will be very grateful.

It may have been disable by something nasty.

Go and read this thread HERE and post a HJT log as an attachment.

Regards Howard :)

This thread is for the use of Otmakus only. Please don`t post your own virus/spyware problems in this thread. Instead, open a new thread in our security and the web forum.

It must have been disabled by the win32.QQrob-32 virus, along with the run command, search, and regedit, because it was the only virus I found in the computers.

I will go there again tomorrow to see if I can find something in the registry to fix it, I'm sure the virus is no longer active, because I have looked around in the registry, the msconfig, and the task manager and found nothing suspicious. I have also scanned the computers using avast in boot time mode.

I'm very sure that it must be caused by 1 or 2 registry entry from the virus, it's just that I didn't have time to look around in the registry to find out. Maybe anyone know where to change or where to delete?

After searching around in my own computer which is clean (hopefully), I stumble upon a registry folder which looks promising, it's : HKCU\software\microsoft\windows\currentversion\explorer\advanced

Can I export the entire folder from my computer and import it into my friend's computers? I've never tried that before...

It's solved, I imported HKCU\software\microsoft\windows\currentversion\explorer\advanced and HKLM\software\microsoft\windows\currentversion\explorer\advanced and it works again.

Possible Fix

I'm not sure which spyware did me in, but here's a fix that works for me.

Go to the following registry key:

HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\Advanced\Folder\Hidden\SHOWALL

Delete the value CheckedValue. (Its type should be REG_SZ and data should be 2.)

Create a new DWORD value called CheckedValue (same as above, except that the type is REG_DWORD). Modify the value data to 1 (0x00000001).

This should let you change the "Hidden Files and Folders" option. HTH!

hi people!

i suffer the same problem - not being able to view hidden files. i deleted 'CheckedValue' at

HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\Advanced\Folde r\Hidden\SHOWALL

but i am unable to create a new DWORD of the same name.when i select a different directory (for example HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\Advanced\Folde r\Hidden\NOHIDDEN) and select back SHOWALL, the CheckValue reappears and set at '0'.

please advice.

it worked!

Otmakus said:
It's solved, I imported HKCU\software\microsoft\windows\currentversion\explorer\advanced and HKLM\software\microsoft\windows\currentversion\explorer\advanced and it works again.

Just wanted to say that the above method worked for me, Thanks!

Thanks!

Hi!
I'm new to this forum. I got this forum thru search in "google". Hey, Goofball008, your tip really worked for me and i'm able to see the hidden folders again..

Thanks once again.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back