Unable to complete the 8 steps - Any help?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nutter101

Hey, I was told in the BSOD forum to post here about my issue, since it seems that the problem may not entirely be driver based.

Basically, I've tried to run go through the 8 steps, but am running into problems. When I try to install Malwarebyte's or Super Anti Spyware, they do not load. The mouse pointer turns to the hourglass, and then nothing happens.

Any ideas? CCleaner worked fine, as did Avast.

The BSOD forum believe the BSOD's I recieve upon attempting to boot in normal mode, or when attempting to access the harddrive in certain ways during safe mode may be malware related.

Does anyone have any ideas of what I can do to attempt to make sure a virus isn't the cause of these issues? I can post minidumps of the crash logs if that helps.

Thanks.

When it tries to do check disk, it states the harddrive is RAW format and says it cannot perform the check. If I try it from the accessories panel, it scans and says the hard drive is fine.

I didn't check to see if you ran a ram test on the bsod forum.
Do you have any logs, screen shots, & bsod error numbers you can post?

You can download & create a bootable CD to test your RAM.
http://oca.microsoft.com/en/windiag.asp

If the ram test passes, remove and re-install your video card, modem, & other devices.
Unplug all USB devices that don't need to be connected (i.e. printer, scanner, ...) and boot your computer.

For running a chkdsk /p error checking scan:
Right click on the C:\ drive and open the properties window.
Click on the Tools Tab and left click to Error Check the drive.
(on vista, the top check box will be automatically checked. On XP it won't be checked and you'll need to check it)
Click OK to schedule it.
Click OK to close the properties windows and reboot.

Also, while in safe mode, you can create a new User Profile. See if you can boot Normally using a new Windows User Profile. It might be that your existing profile is corrupted causing bsod issues when booting.

There isn't enough information yet to narrow down your issue, so please post details & logs.

Hope that helps.
Zyldar

I'll include the minidumps that I placed in the BSOD forums - the error codes for the BSODs are 0x24 and 0xD1. The 0xD1 occurs when I try to boot normally, and the 0x24 occurs randomly when using explorer to view files or when using a virus scanner/similar.

As it's a laptop, I'll try the RAM test you've suggest tomorrow (it's a friends and she's asked me to deal with the virus problem, then all these started occuring and it got out of my hands somewhat...). It wouldn't surprise me if it could do with new RAM, it's a HPZX6000 I believe, though I'll check that.

I used various minidump viewers & wasn't able to view the minidump you posted. Can you save and post a different minidump.dmp pls.

When it tries to do check disk, it states the harddrive is RAW format and says it cannot perform the check. If I try it from the accessories panel, it scans and says the hard drive is fine.

Raw format? Unformatted? When you go into My Computer and right click on the drive and select tools, check for errors, what happens?

Raw format? Unformatted? When you go into My Computer and right click on the drive and select tools, check for errors, what happens?

When I try that, it just says Windows was unable to complete the disk check.

Edit: RAM Memory Test came up with no errors.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back