wired4tech

I've got a really odd problem that I could use some help with:

On both my ipad 2 and Sony Vaio pc, I'm unable to connect apple.com
Error on PC (when using Chrome or Firefox or IE9):
Code:
Oops! Google Chrome could not connect to apple.com
OR
Code:
The connection has timed out / The server at apple.com is taking too long to respond.

Now, if I try connecting via Safari on my Ipad 2, then I get an error of:
Code:
Cannot open page. Safari could not open the page because the server stopped responding.

My root problem is that I'm not able to connect FaceTime on my Ipad 2, which seems to be connected to this issue. When trying to sign in with my apple ID, I get an error stating
Code:
Could not sign in. Please check your network connection and try again.

My sony pc specs: Win 7 x64, 4 GB RAM, 2.13 GHz

Now I read on a different site that the incorrect date time settings in my router could cause an issue like this. Since then, I have updated it to the correct timestamp and I'm still experiencing the problem.

Any suggestions would be much appreciated!

Update

Hello

Note that I'm in India and I've managed to get one step closer.
If I go to apple.com/in (the version for India, I guess), then I've absolutely no issues connecting to the homepage.

I did a tracert to apple.com and it timed out. Now coming back to FaceTime, I'm wondering if this is why I may not be able to connect (hosted on apple.com's servers?).

I've now connected my laptop directly to the DSL modem (kicked out the router for now) and I still can't connect to either dlink.com or apple.com. So I'm pretty sure that this is now an ISP issue.

Does anyone else have a similar problem or any other steps I can take to confirm my suspicion?

Fixed!

Hey All,

So I've finally narrowed it down and turns out that it was an ISP issue after all. To fix it, I had to go into my router settings and specify a different set of DNS hostnames to use.

Specifically, I got the hostnames from OpenDNS store.opendns.com/setup/router

I used the following IPs and placed them in the router's settings (Internet Setup > Manual Internet Connection Setup > DYNAMIC IP (DHCP) INTERNET CONNECTION TYPE)

Note: Router Model: DLINK DIR 600

Once that was done, I flushed the DNS (cmd > ipconfig /flushdns), power cycled my modem and router and was pretty much good to go (though I did have to wait about an hour before I could access apple.com again). And since I was able to access apple.com again, my root problem was also fixed - I'm now able to sign into FaceTime on my Ipad 2.

Hope this helps someone else who is experiencing the same issue. I guess this is an Indian ISP (BSNL) restriction and not sure what the logic is...but oh well.

Back