Unable to determine bios lock

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi

I am seriously in need of some help. I am having some major issues with my PC and I am attempting to restore factory settings. It is a Time PC running XP Home. I have attempted to boot with the reload cd which came with the PC but I get the message "unable to determine bios lock" and to contact the manufacturer. Now Time went bust and the name is now used by a different company. Their "sales" line advise me I have to contact a support line costing £1 per minute but I do not wish to do this as I know I haven't done anything to cause this (install new hardware, etc). Microsoft were unable to help me as the OS was provided free with the PC and so is licensed to the manufacturer.

Anybody got any ideas?

(PS - the above £1/min support line's website is offering replacement reload disks, a bargain at £100 each! I shall get a new PC before paying that.)

Please start by updating your User Profile to include your system specs and be as detailed as you can. I'll ask that you post your location, but I'm thinking UK?

Sorry I was in a bit of a hurry to post my question! I have filled in the specs as best I can though I have no idea how to get details of motherboard, etc. As you can see UK it is.

Is it bios lock, or bios clock? Nice job on the profile updates, by the way. I don't know if you know how to clear the bios. There is a "button" battery on the motherboard that can be removed (carefully) and possibly there is a jumper that can be used to clear the bios. Removing the battery and unplugging the PC from the wall is the easiest for you to do. Leave the battery out for a few minutes, and put it back in. Plug the PC back in. Try this and see what happens

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back