Unable to forward ports!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Everything was fine in the past, but now, for some reason, the only port I can forward is 80 (for a web server). All the other ports remain filtered. Here's an example of one attempt to open a certain port:

59204942po5.jpg

And yes, I did Google it, I've been to portforward DOT com, and I've read the manufacturer's manual + instructions. Some basic info: my OS is WinXP Home SP2 and my router is USR8054:
Code:
http://www.usr.com/support/8054/8054-ug/index.html

Very descriptive

Have you tried full reset and or firmware update, there may be corruptions in the internal settings.

Even if the port formwarding works on the router, there are other factors:
- Your ISP may be blocking incoming connections. Since only port 80 seems to be allowed (out of the ones you tried), this looks very likely.
- Your computer's software firewall is not set up to handle the forwarded connections.

I tried resetting my router to default settings but that didn't do anything. And during these tests I keep my software firewall turned off btw.
So I don't know what else is left. Why would Comcast be blocking port 1024?

Oh Comcast !

Well Nodsu response is looking good (ISP block)

Please phone them and ask if they are (probably yes) and why
I'd like to have the official response from them, ideally in writing.

config your webserver to something like port 20080 and forward that.

if you get traffic, then the ISP is blocking port 80.

see your EULA for terms and conditions for hosting.

I just talked via chat with a Comcast representative and I was told that the following ports are blocked:

That still didn't solve my problem, though. I even DMZ'd myself (in addition to turning off my software firewall).. so shouldn't all the other ports have been open? I use NMAP along with another app to check if a certain port is open, btw.

As far as web hosting goes, I'm pretty sure it's not allowed under EULA but I've played around with it here and there and they haven't done anything yet.

port 8080 belongs to Java Servlet Pages (JSP) and would likely be block too.
Something above 10,000 would likely to be ignored.

So I finally did what I'd call 'the ultimate' test. I disabled my software firewall, turned off the router, and made a direct connection between the modem and my NIC. Then I ran multiple port scans. The only open ports were 80 (http) and 443 (https). So it can only be Comcast then..

But how can this many ports be blocked? Can someone tell me what is normal for an ISP to do in terms of blocking/opening/filtering ports. For those of you who have Comcast, which ports are blocked for you?

The answer is likely to be found in your EULA -- look for comments on hosting.
The ISP will actively block 'well know hosting ports' easily at their router.

This is an effort to provide uniform service to all clients on the subnet.
(it also just happens to allow them to sell another type of service; HOSTED systems and/or static IP addresses)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back