unable to join a domain

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am running WinXP pro SP2, and don't have the option to join a domain. I think there is something wrong in the group policy, but I can't find the problem. For Internet I am on a T1 thanks to my University. I shouldn't have any internet as far as I know because I'm not on the domain. I also can't use (although I think this is not so bad) windows firewall. Everything is in grey and the setting is turned off. I have been having problems ever since I reformatted and did a clean install of Windows.

everything where is grey?? under system properties what? why not post a screenshot of all the related info for your pc and then we can take a look...

You usually don't have to be on the domain to have internet access. I work for a university and we don't even allow our students to join the domain. Your machine object as to exist in order for you to join. You firewall settings also have nothing to do with the domain and if you aren't joined to the domain already then they have no control over the settings on your machine so it's not a GPO issue either. I think your problems are probably a little earlier in the series - probably with your network drivers or network card. Even when not physically connected to the network you should have access to your firewall settings.

if i recall correctly someone at a lan i attended had the same problem. we spent about an hour trying to sort it out. I think in the end all we had to do was use the new network connection wizard, but i may be wrong..

it may be a simple answer but if it works then its all good...

so go to my network places, view network connections and then try setting up a new office or home network. i think, if i recall, it should have the options in there. if not then i am stumped! for now... :evil:

I'm sorry - I'm not familiar with using those wizards, but why not just change it manually. If you're sure you can join the domain why not go into System Properties > Computer Name > Change and then select Domain instead of workgroup there. After you set the name of the domain to join it will prompt you for a username/password with permissions to join a machine to the domain. I assume if you are allowed to then your university id/pass will work and I assume they have automated the creation of your machine object upon joining. Give that a shot and let us know how things go.

I just discovered I'm missing the workstation service and therefore I cannot network my computer (although it is networked I think). My new mission to fix my problem is to find out how to get my workstation service back.

Make sure you have client for MS networks installed in the network properties for your NIC. That is in essence, the "workstation" service.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back