Uncontrollable restarts! Can anyone help?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello! I just got a Dell Dimension 5100c desktop with XP Home. It worked fine, but I still had an old XP Pro disk, so I thought I'd try to put that on instead. Upon trying, the pc told me that the xp pro on the disc was older that the version of home on the pc already, and so I would have to boot up with the disk to replace it. I did so, following all the instructions, including deleting and formating the hard drive. BUT, after finishing and restarting the computer, it gets as far as where you first see the windows logo and then restars again automatically in an endless cycle!!! I tried to put XP HOME back on using the disk that came with the pc, but the same problem happened again. The same thing also happens when I try to open in Safe mode, or go to the last configuration that worked item on the menu! Any ideas about what to do? Thank you so much!

I always give this advice, but anyway it never huts to check.

When I had continuous restarts with my pc at the Windows load-up it was my Power Supply busy dieing. I could always hear a click just before the restart. Check if you can hear that click.

I advise sending the pc back to Dell because seeing as you already formatted and tried their version and it did not work it sounds like some hardware failure.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back