Underclocking a laptop?

Status
Not open for further replies.

me(who else?)

I was looking around on the internet and I found a discusion about overclocking laptops. I was wondering if I could underclock my Toshiba Satelite A10-C8M to conserve battery power (I don't need 2.4 ghZ CPU speed all the time). I was also wondering if decreasing the clock speed would increase battery life at all...with my laptop I could cut the clock speed in half and still have a decently fast processing speed.

edit: I'm hoping I don't have to rip my laptop open to underclock it...if I had an app I could use occasionally it would help.

Your laptop already "underclocks" itself.

Virtually all laptops change speed on-the-fly, with technologies like SpeedStep etc...

To better control this feature, Toshiba has a power management utitlity you can download from their website.

Keep in mind the great difference will be made by the brightness of the LCD screen.

I didn't think of that :blackeye: . The Toshiba power settings let you control exactly what the clockspeed, monitor brightness, etc. are for each power setting.

Originally posted by me(who else?)
I was also wondering if decreasing the clock speed would increase battery life at all...

Also it should give you longer lasting batt. life, but Im not sure how much exactly.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back