Unfixable bsod (superdupper guru needed)

Status
Not open for further replies.

nin82

Hi!

first of all great site, I have been using it since I can remember there is always a lo of input. I have always found the solution to my problems here. but for the past 4 days I have been struggling with a (insert your favorite curse word here) BSOD to no avail.

It started out of the "blue". its not like its the first time it happen so i just restarted the pc. worked ok for another couple of minutes maybe even an hour and then i got it again. first it was the irq_not_less_or_equal error no problem there I checked the cpu temp in the bios it was at 49c. normally it wont complaint until 70 ~ 75c grabbed at turbine lassco fan right in front of the cpu. restarted and found that now the windows/system32/config/system was missing or corrupt... another basic thing i said.

so i fixed it by replacing the usual files: sam, system, software, security etc. I rebooted and it started running and I was happy. it had barely finish loading all the usual crap when BAM! again a bsod this time a problem with the nvata.sys error... took care of that by deleting all the drivers from Nvidia as another thread suggested.

failed! BSOD came backthis time as a MACHINE_CHECK_EXCEPTION.
time to take everything apart, start cleaning and testing hardware one by one did everything by the book. everything was fine, the only way for me to have access to the pc was under safemode.

well to end this quickly I tried putting a new hard drive in and a fresh install of windows xp... ZAP MACHINE_CHECK_EXCEPTION right about the time it starts asking for the organization name etc.. JESUS TAP DANCING CHRIST!! got windows vista 64bit ultimate and tried to install it and BANG MACHINE_CHECK_EXCEPTION right after the loading color bars

got HOT CPU TESTER I ran all the tests... everything worked as it should!!! the mobo came out fine to0 no errors!!! the only way for this pc to boot into windows is on safemode. what am i missing? I have been back and forward from every single post to which this could relate. any kind of input would be more then appreciated . thx!! :dead:

System specs & diag reports

ASUS M2N-SLI Deluxe
AMD Athlon(tm) 64 X2 Dual Core Processor 6000+
2x Geforce 8500 GT
4Gb ram 667mhz
WD sata 500gb hdd
WD sata 320 gb hdd
Windows XP Pro sp3

Hot CPU Tester Pro 4.3

Copyright © 1999-2003 7Byte Computers

Saturday, April 10, 2010 - 10:52:02

Diagnostic Report

---------------------------------------------

Test Started at: 10:29:36

Test Duration: 00:21:46

Physical Processors Available: 2

Logical Processors Available: 2

Multi-Processors System(SMP): Available

Hyper-Threading Technology: Not Available

CPU Name String: AMD Athlon(tm) 64 X2 Dual Core Processor 6000+

Speed: 3013MHz

Logical Processors Tested: CPU 0, CPU 1

Average CPU(s) Performance: 100.0%

Modules Results:

Complex Matrix: Finished without error

Calculating Pi: Finished without error

Sorting Algorithms: Finished without error

Prime Test: Finished without error

Fast Fourier Transforms: Finished without error

Chipset: Finished without error

L1 Cache: Finished without error

L2 Cache: Finished without error

Memory: Finished without error

HD: Finished without error

MMX: Finished without error

SSE: Finished without error

SSE2/SSE3: Finished without error

3DNow!: Finished without error

Not really sure what Jesus Christ has to do with this but I don't know of any error that is absolutely more difficult to deal with than MACHINE_CHECK_EXCEPTION especially since I have yet to see any minidump file ever give a definitive cause.

Many PC techs hate working with it because, and I am sure you already know this, it can be due to any, and I mean ANY, hardware in your system.

Perhaps I missed it but...

1. Did you test the psu?

2. Did you boot up with only psu, cpu, and RAM installed? Shut-down and add one piece of hardware and then reboot, repeat as needed? Tedious yes but it can help zero in on hardware when system won't boot up.

3. Any overclocking and if so did you set hardware at default settings?

thanks route44 for your time.
i took it apart, all ram, graphix cards cpu fan cleaned everything and added fresh heat-sink paste xD too...reseted the default settings on the bios the only thing that Im missing is another psu to test it with my system... this one works on another pc just fine (other pc lacking psu to switch to faulty pc) what really bothers me though is that it works perfectly fine under safe mode as and engineer in electronics I am 98% positive its not the psu and since i stressed the hell out of the ram and cpu with the hot cpu tester it should have shown up right? have you had a psu give you this kind of problems before?

edit: could it be the mobo it self ?

Let me first say you certainly know your stuff. You have a lot of tech knowledge and you have not let any stone unturned.

I have a few questions:

1. These BSODs have only been occuring the last four days, correct?

2. Have you done any software updating; any automatic Microsoft updates? The reason I ask is because if this is working in Safe Mode that is a strong indication of driver issues or perhaps a failed piece of hardware that works as long as not all drivers are engaged.

3. Working wwith people I have seen bad NIC cards, DVD/CD drives, bad cables, and even once so much dust around a cpu it was shutting it down to heat build-up. Again, it can be any hardware and certainly a psu or motherboard could be the cause.

4. How are your cables?

thank you again for your help this is splitting my head open.

yes m8 the bsod's just started, used to get them occasionally every once in a blue moon and only because of over clocking and not using the lassco fan XD.

no i havent done any updates at all. i had them disabled from day 1 after installing sp3 i only update windows with service packs.

i thought the same thing about the drivers hence i tried the fresh install x( but NOTHING!!! hehe

\could be a cable prolly the only ide cable i have i'll take a look... but still the dvdRom works fine brb

Another question: When diagnosing did you also use memtest or your harddrive manufacturer's HD utility as well?

Also: Have you tried diasabling your NIC card and booting up into normal mode?

nope, changed cables out and nothing worked same as before..

edit:

yeah i though i could just skip that with a new hard drive xD im kinda lazy.. hehehe

i disabled everything from the onboard chips sound, nic's every mofo along with my wifi
this is such a killer isnt it? lol i think we are done to 2 things either the psu or the mobo huh?

Yep, it certainly is a killer. The only good thing so far is you know what you are doing. I tried to help someone clear around the world with language barrier too. This problem error is just so difficult.

Okay, again for my clarification, have you tried installing one piece of hardware at a time with boot-up, shut-down, repeat?

What about BIOS update?

hehehe yeah sorry about my english its a bit rusty.

yes i have done it twice, but it comes down to mobo, psu, hdd or mobo, psu and dvdrom and a mass storage device. still right about when i try to boot a livecd bamm!

bios update i have not done... everything was working fine and no new hardware you think i should still give it a go? i hate flashing roms.... they make my head hitch lol

Naa, I wouldn't flash a ROM unless absolutely necessary. The old adage holds: If is ain't broke don't fix.

The RAM has always been the same with this motherboard, correct?

What about the motherboard controllers?

yeah ram has been in there since day one. controllers are the right x( ones. to hell with it im just gonna built another... i lost this one :blackeye: thx alot for your help m8!!! :wave:

didnt loose after all... its the onboard sound card... and something else... i am getting closer everyday xD

Thanks for the update! When you say onboard sound what makes you suspicious? :suspiciou Anything that lends to a possible solution to this error is very helpful for the computer community.

well its actually a physical component in the mother board the one that is causing all this mayheam. its a minor one because i have actually manage to run the pc for a longer period of time with out it being on safemode. I know its a bus linked to the sound board because the sound drivers arent loaded on safemode which makes the computer 100% stable i can watch videos surf the web everything with out the bsod failure. so i disabled the onboard sound in the bios and sure thing got it running again and i was able to type the message before this one BUT if i plug in a bluetooth device the bsod comes back on right after the the device is recognize... o well i said i can live with out bluetooth BUT NOT WITHOUT SOUND so i threw in an old pci soundblaster right away i got the bsod... restart it and it worked fine for long time before crashing... so i tested the usb ports with other devices it worked fine, tried the bluetooth on another pc and it worked fine too... ill keep looking

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back