Unidentified case wire

Status
Not open for further replies.
I got an Enermax CS-EN5171LBFS-B case.

I have a wire coming from the front panel. It is actually 2 white wires running together that end in a sealed translucent end.

What is this and/or what do I do with it? I suspect it has something to do with the temp display on the front panel.

Also, does anyone know of a good site that diagrams or explains the different terminology of the cable leads and how to match them up with the connectors? ie: front audio, 1394, USB, fan controller, etc.

Thanks!

Sounds like a thermistor.

Although most nice switching PSUs have an internal thermistor to regular fan speed, this one may also have an additional external thermistor which is used to regular case temperature as well.

Just a guess.

Do you have a front-panel LCD case temp monitor? It could be the thermistor for that as well. If so, just make sure you've got it set in a spot where it will just pull ambient case temps....not too near the processor or hard drives.

Most good motherboard manuals will have diagrams for these. Sometimes hard to muddle through but a little (lot of) time and patience and you'll get it right....frequently the first time. :D

And if this is going to be your first build.....have fun with it and good luck. :grinthumb

And welcome to TechSpot....hope you enjoy yourself here. Don't be afraid to ask questions....we're all here to help and possibly you can help others as well.

Thanks so much! Once I had the correct name I was able to search & read up on it. I have it taking my hard drive temp right now, but would probably be more interested in the ambient temperatre. Can I just 'hang' it out in the open space?

Not my first build by a longshot, but definately the most complicated! I was really pleased it fired up beautifully and even though I was clean installing XP on 2 SATA drives set up in a RAID - I got it right!

Thanks for the welcome, wish I had found this site earlier. I am enjoying the reading and seeing so many sets of specs.

Originally posted by ssixx
I have it taking my hard drive temp right now, but would probably be more interested in the ambient temperatre. Can I just 'hang' it out in the open space?

Yeppers! That's not a problem. Keep it out of direct fan intake stream to get a better reading of your true case temps.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back