Unnable to boot XP due to bad /windows/system32

Status
Not open for further replies.
Windows XP had a glitch destroying the /windows/sytem32 directory by renaming it to s[32???.

I have used 98se for a number of years and bought/installed the XP UPGRADE version about a year ago unaware of the shortcomings in that the UPGRADE cannot REPaIR itself. It needs the FULL version. BUMMER that!

I have a dual boot system with XP and Linux OS'. I can access the Windows partition and all directories/files and see the problem.

PROBLEM:

I have the system32 directory/files on another disk but windows will not allow copying to the /windows directory. Nor will it allow me delete or rename the damaged directory.

It appears that in order to save my many files in windows I will have to buy the XP Full Version.

QUESTION:

Will buying the Professional version offer any advantages over the Std "XP Full version"?

Any comments or advice are certainly welcome,

redest

Hi,
If you are using XP for business then XP Pro might be better. If it's for home use then XP Home is just as good.
Have you tried booting off of a Bart PE cd? It will give you access to your files and might let you copy the system 32 files. Also if you add DeepBurner option to BartPE you can burn any files on your hard drive to cd or dvd.

Redest Quote
"the shortcomings in that the UPGRADE cannot REPaIR itself. It needs the FULL version. BUMMER that! "
It is not clear what you mean by this statement>but a Microsoft Xp,Upgrade disk will perform everything a Full product will do( In terms of Emergency Repairs) . System restore and other types of emergency procedures all will work when you boot to the disk.
Perhaps you should post exactly what you have tried to do in detail.
Then we could see where you problem really is.
It is normal for you not to be able to delete protected system files especially if you are not in Safe Mode or Command .

As I stated, the Upgrade CD tells me that I must boot with a FULL Version XP CD.
I have tried several times and the only thing accomplished is wiping out Lilo, the boot menu in the MBR. Oh how I hate windoze! Let me count the ways.....

Thanks,

redest

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back