Unstable Wireless Connectivity with Windows 8

Parkor

Hey guys, I've just picked up a new Lenovo Ideapad y510p which has been great thus far. A major problem I've been experiencing though is with the wireless connectivity. I've had minor problems like this in the past, but only on windows machines, and only in this house (every mac & gaming console in the house can use the internet flawlessly, and I've had no problems with connection to networks other than my own on this particular laptop).

The problem: I'll be using the internet normally, and all of a sudden I will lose internet access. Sometimes the icon remains like this (with no connection), sometimes it tells me I have limited connection and changes to this (still no connection), and sometimes it disconnects completely (this). The strange thing about this issue, is that disconnecting and reconnecting to my network (or just reconnecting) almost always solves the issue (temporarily, of course).

A little background: I live in a large house, so our wifi is set up pretty weird. The main connection comes from a cisco wireless router in the basement that we are using as a wired router directly hooked to the modem. Directly connected to the cisco is an apple airport extreme that provides the house with wireless. Since the signal doesn't cover the whole house, there is also an airport express directly connected to the modem. This express sits on the other side of the house, and is the closest access point to my computer. I have tried changing wireless channels to solve this issue, no luck.

Now, I could keep using my internet like this, having to disconnect and reconnect every 10 minutes, but it gets very frustrating, especially when streaming or gaming. Any ideas or input would be greatly appreciated, thanks :)

First I would suggest that you set the MTU to 1492 in the Cisco and all all Airport devices. This will stop what is known as packet fragmentation and reassembly which frequently causes problems.

Secondly, be sure ALL such devices have the latest firmware.

If your ISP connection is using ADSL, ensure all devices plugged into the phone line anywhere in the house have the dsl line filter.

The "limited connection" issue is always a failure to get a response to the DHCP request.
(every mac & gaming console in the house can use the internet flawlessly, and I've had no problems with connection to networks other than my own on this particular laptop).
And this points the finger at the Windows Device Driver - - so look for an updated version for your machine.

There are know issues with WiFi on Windows 8? did you run the update to bring it to Windows 8.1 yet?

Lenovo driver support for your laptop on WiFi also before the upgrade.
Yes you should do the upgrade as the prior version was known for several issues also check.

Back