Unusually slow application startup in Vista

Status
Not open for further replies.

nilesp

I've noticed Vista has gotten real slow when loading up the applications on startup lately.

Recent changes:
1. I continually (perhaps stupidly) install the latest updates from windows update (and also HP's site).
2. I've also tried to find the best drivers for my Geforce 8400M GS recently which have resulted in a whole lot of installing/rolling back of drivers - finally landing on my original HP-supplied ones. I do not know if this has had any impact on the system but the Nvidia control panel seems to be acting up some.

I can only see these two possible explanations for the recent slowdown. I do have norton internet security pre-installed but since this is a recent development and that app always have been there it shouldn't be that.

Any ideas? Could a clean-up of the display drivers solve anything and how do i do that?

My system is a HP Pavilion 9045, 2Gb ram, TL-56, GeForce 8400M GS.

/Niles

windows update - No that's not it (please continue doing these)
best drivers for my Geforce 8400M GS - No again (as long as the driver is the right one)

norton internet security pre-installed- Found the fault !

Please uninstall Norton to gain a much faster system, consider using AVG Free instead
You can also download Startup Control Panel and remove any unwanted system startups

I agree with kimsland. Even if it isn't the only problem, it is the majority of it. Norton has always been a slow down.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back