Updating a computer handed down to me

Hello!
So my laptop is getting too slow to handle my editing projects and my mom is giving me an {emachines AMD Athlon processor} desktop and computer.

I plan to replace anything (within reason) needed to make this computer good/fast enough to handle video/photo editing, graphic design and 3D modeling, and sims playing.

-Is this current processor good or do I need a better (newer) one? In doing research some say anything AMD or intel are best.
-Updating the RAM, hard drive, graphics card, and cooling system are on my list but does anyone have any advice on if ALL of this is needed to be replaced as well as suggestions on which options would be best/cheapest.

I do want to make this computer to last, so I am willing to pay for quality. Howerver, if there is quality that is cheap and effective, I would prefer those suggestions.

Please and Thank you!

Can you provide any details?
List
  • Brand: Emachines Model # ??
  • Form Factor: [Desktop] ?
  • CPU / AMD
  • Series: Athlon II or X2 ?
  • Cores: ?
  • Speed: in GHz

• Memory DDR 2/3/4 Size: in GB
  • Hard Drive - type/size?

• Operating System: Windows/Linux?
  • Video: Onboard/Add In - AMD / Nvidia?

Can you provide any details?

Yes! Details are italicized. Photos are attached.

List
  • Brand: Emachines Model - EL1200-06w
  • Form Factor: I'll be getting the whole package. The monitor, computer, key board, all that jazz.
  • CPU / AMD
  • Series: Athlon 64
  • Cores: ?
  • Speed: in GHz

• Memory: DDR 2/3/4 Not Sure?? Size: 1GB
  • Hard Drive - 160 GB

• Operating System: Windows XP home
  • Video: Onboard/Add In - AMD / Nvidia?

Thanks for replying :)

Don't know why the photos aren't being uploaded but this is what is on the box...

AMD Athlon 64 Processor
EL1200-06w
19"W LCD Display
1GB Memory
160GB Hard Drive
Reads/Writes CD/DVDs
Windows XP Home

I can send more info once I receive the computer in maybe about a week. Will be shipped tomorrow.

The PC is fairly old, but if you want to use it upgrades won't cost much. Your CPU can be upgraded with an Athlon 64 LE-1660 - they're obsolete but there are several around the net and on Ebay for various prices. One on Ebay is $9, plus $4 shipping. It's listed as "AMD Athlon II X2 240 Energy Efficient 2.8 GHz Dual-Core (ADX240OCK23GM) Processo"

Your motherboard is a Socket AM2.
Memory is DDR2, you need 2 pieces either 2 or 4GB, each. That's another $20 - 25 on Newegg.
The Video is on the motherboard: NVIDIA GeForce 6150SE integrated graphics
If the motherboard has an open slot for either PCI-E or AGP then video can also be upgraded.

A new speedy hard drive will probably have more of a visible and performance effect than anything. The computer I'm looking at came with a 160GB SATA II, 7200rpm spinning disk. You can easily remove it and replace it with an SSD - ADATA's 240GB is $36.99 on Amazon. Higher capacity cost more.

A next/best step may be to replace the motherboard and start with more modern components.

Here's the same model I found for reference.

This is a pic from the back. There are two silver colored inserts at the top, a dialup modem is the second. Both of those can be removed so a higher performance graphics card may be used. "May" depends on if one can be found, and it works correctly.

EL1200-06w-003.jpg

The PC is fairly old, but if you want to use it upgrades won't cost much. Your CPU can be upgraded with an Athlon 64 LE-1660 - they're obsolete but there are several around the net and on Ebay for various prices. One on Ebay is $9, plus $4 shipping. It's listed as "AMD Athlon II X2 240 Energy Efficient 2.8 GHz Dual-Core (ADX240OCK23GM) Processo"

Your motherboard is a Socket AM2.
Memory is DDR2, you need 2 pieces either 2 or 4GB, each. That's another $20 - 25 on Newegg.
The Video is on the motherboard: NVIDIA GeForce 6150SE integrated graphics
If the motherboard has an open slot for either PCI-E or AGP then video can also be upgraded.

A new speedy hard drive will probably have more of a visible and performance effect than anything. The computer I'm looking at came with a 160GB SATA II, 7200rpm spinning disk. You can easily remove it and replace it with an SSD - ADATA's 240GB is $36.99 on Amazon. Higher capacity cost more.

A next/best step may be to replace the motherboard and start with more modern components.

Here's the same model I found for reference.

Ok cool. Thanks for your help Charms! I'm going to do some more research and wait for the drive to get in and really look at it. If I have any more questions, you'll be my go to if you dont mind :)

This PC is far and away end of life. Don't put any money into any of the upgrades listed above - you'd be better off buying a used newer machine for the money and starting from scratch.

I'd even bet the desktop is slower than your laptop.

Back