Upgrade an eMachines w1640 CPU

what is the fastest cpu the stock emachines w1640 can handle, it curently has a amd athlon xp 1600 1.39ghz in it, i would like to put in a faster cpu in the stock motherboard,any ideas thanks

Like the old timer replied, when the young stranger asked him for directions, "you can't get there from here, son".

Junior, this baby is so old, it's surprising that the motherboard hasn't blown up yet. The support and spec page: http://www.emachines.com/support/product_support.html?cat=Desktops&subcat=W Series&model=W1640

Start saving your money for a new machine.

Since I'm fairly geriatric, everybody gets called, "junior", sorry. However, this post has so much youthful optimism, it's an honest mistake

emachines upgrade

i just want to upgrade the cpu,

W1640 Support InformationUser Guides
User Guide (681.00 KB)
Manuel d'utilisation (789.00 KB)
Specifications
CPU : AMD Athlon™ XP Processor 1600+ (1.400GHz) with QuantiSpeed™ architecture
Operating System : Genuine Microsoft® Windows® XP Home Edition
Monitor Bundle : eMachines® 15" eView™ 15w2 Monitor
(13.8" Viewable, 0.28mm dot pitch)
Chipset : VIA KM 266
Memory : 128MB DDR (PC2100)
Hard Drive : 40GB HDD
Optical Drive : 40x Max. CD-RW Drive; 3.5" 1.44MB FDD
Video : S3 ProSavage8 integrated (1 AGP slot available for upgrade)
Sound : AC '97 Audio
Modem : 56K ITU v.92-ready Fax/Modem
Peripherals : Standard Windows Keyboard, Wheel Mouse, Amplified Speakers
Ports/Other : 6 USB 2.0 ports (2 on front), 1 Serial, 1 Parallel, 2 PS/2, Mic-In & Head Phone jack on front, Audio In & Out, 3 PCI slots (2 available)
Dimensions : 7.25"W x 14.125"H x 16"D
Internet Access : AOL 3 month membership included
Software : Works 6.0, Money 2002, Encarta® Online, Adobe® Acrobat® Reader™, Media Player, Real Player, Internet Explorer, Netscape®, MSN®, CompuServe®, McAfee® Anti-Virus (90-day trial version), AOL® 7.0)

Like the old timer replied, when the young stranger asked him for directions, "you can't get there from here, son".

Junior, this baby is so old, it's surprising that the motherboard hasn't blown up yet. The support and spec page: http://www.emachines.com/support/pro...es&model=W1640

Start saving your money for a new machine.

Since I'm fairly geriatric, everybody gets called, "junior", sorry. However, this post has so much youthful optimism, it's an honest mistake
Theres lots of posts with a similar mindset; help me do this because even though I have no idea what i'm doing, I still think it's the best option and no, I don't care for your opinions or have any regard for other components of my computer (since I only know "CPU").

Theres lots of posts with a similar mindset; help me do this because even though I have no idea what i'm doing, I still think it's the best option and no, I don't care for your opinions or have any regard for other components of my computer (since I only know "CPU").
Who exactly is quoting who?

As to the OP do whatever you want. Any CPU that you find will be less than mediocre by any recent standard. And by "recent standard", we're talking the last five years.

Early Emachines are notorious for blowing motherboards. If yours has survived to this point, consider yourself blessed.

I'm sure that this is a fine machine for surfing the net, or word processing, but that's about the extent of it.

That is my opinion, and you're full well welcome to keep searching for some ***** that will give you the answer you want to hear.

Read this, you can put CPUs, graphics cards, power supplies, bigger HDDs, or more memory into this box, and when you get done, it will still be walking a tightrope between your desktop and the flea market.

Oh, and in case you're still with me, I'm writing this post from an Emachines T-5026 with a Pentium-4, running @ 3.06 Ghz, which I won't put any effort or money into, because of its age. If I started thinking about "souping this thing up", the best thing that could be said about it would be this, "he's a nice man, it's a shame he's harboring those delusions of grandeur"! It is what it is, I love it, but I'm not intending to throw good money after bad on it.

Your computer needs to be maintained as is, partly because of its "value added" software. M$ "works is worth 30 bucks, and OEM software can't be transfered to another machine. If you want to spend money on your Emachine, treat it to a new power supply, and a good one, it's earned it.

Back