upgrade now or wait for dx10

By deano3041
Nov 2, 2006
  1. well guys i currently have a x800xl which is performing valiantly for over a year now but i need an upgrade soon so i can play my games on my new hd tv but anyways im thinkin about buying this sick x1950pro turbo from newegg but idk if i should wait until direct x 10

  2. MetalX

    MetalX TechSpot Chancellor Posts: 1,388

    Wait for DX10. 8800GT/X comes out in just a few months. Just hold out with ur X800, maybe overclock it or something but just wait abit for DX10.
  3. Sharkfood

    Sharkfood TS Guru Posts: 1,019

    I don't know what you'd be trying to accomplish.

    The X800XL is 16-pipelines, 16-pixel shaders with medium to high clock speeds.
    The X1950Pro is 12-pipelines, 36-pixel shaders with high clock speeds.

    You'd be losing 4 pixel rendering pipelines, so if the goal is higher resolution for widescreen, you'd be going down a hair in this department. Shader performance will go up DRAMATICALLY though, so games like Oblivion and shader-rich games will fly.

    I'd say wait for a 16-pipeline (or more) card variant if you're looking for more fillrate to fill higher resolution. Nvidia has 20 and 24-pipeline solutions that fit this bill nicely as well, but unfortunately are also 20/24 pixel shaders.
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.

Similar Topics

Add your comment to this article

You need to be a member to leave a comment. Join thousands of tech enthusiasts and participate.
TechSpot Account You may also...