Not open for further replies.
Specs.

amd64 3200 venice
36gig raptor
hitachi 7k250 160gig
4x512mb ocz el dual platinum rev 2 @2 2 2 5
ati x800xl
epox 9npa ultra nforce 4

heres the problem. I just recently purchased another gig of ram to fill all my dimm slots on the motherboard. The system seemed to be stable until i tried to run battlefield 2. I then started experiencing hangs and freezing for no reason. I thought it was battlefield 2 related but then it happened while searching some forums on the internet. I since removed the second gig i purchased and the system seems to be stable again. I beleive the problem is either the memory has problems or my motherboard doesnt like having 4 512mb sticks in it. i would appreciate any suggestions. The motherboard posts with no problems so i dont think the ram is the problem. I am just frustrated. I have already tried reinstalling my os and all drivers but still experience the freezing and crashing.(system is stable with 2x512mb sticks)

AMD 64's do not work well with 4 dual sided DIMMS installed, although the Venice core is much improved in this regard over the winnies or newcs. You'll have to adjust your timings in order to run all 4 DIMMs. Start off at 2.5 3 3 6 2T and see if it will run at 400DDR. If it does try 1T again. If it doesn't try 333DDR. Just keep experimenting till you find the fastest stable timings you can get. You may actually see slower performance,, My advice is return that RAM and buy two 1GB sticks and save the 512's you already have for a rainy day or new build.

EDIT: Good link discussing this issue. http://www.xbitlabs.com/articles/cpu/display/athlon64-e3-mem_3.html

merc14

thanks for the reply. I was talking to the ocz guys and they are telling me to up my timings also. I bought these sticks because they had low timings and i want them to run fast. Looks like i am going to return them and get 2 1 gig sticks.

Thanks for the reply

No problem, glad to help. I ended up doing the same thing. Running Corsair XMS 1024-3200CPT at 2/3/3/6 1T.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back