Upgrading an eMachines ET1831-03 for Gaming?

MinerNolan

Yes, I am aware that this desktop has a load of problems, but I am wondering if there is any way I could upgrade the power supply and video card for this specific desktop...
  • I am not aware of what may or may not be compatible,
  • I have no prior experience with computer stuffs (But I know the contents of the computer)
  • I am aware that there was a topic about this posted a while ago, but the stuff suggested was (I think) retired.
The games I play are (I will list them from most recent to least recent) -Smite,-Osu,-Left 4 Dead 2,-Interstellar Marines,-Minecraft,-I have other games but I don't remember what to list. All I want to do is basically have a graphics card good enough to play the latest games. I don't care about exceptional performance or anything, I just want to play in the right resolution with 50+ fps on low-medium graphics. (Now remember I'm clueless so if I don't know what I'm saying, then just know that I'm trying to explain myself xD.)
Now lets see, my budget is: $300-$450. If it's lower than 300 or a little more than 450, then it's fine.

Thanks! :D :)

Oh and I'm Windows 7.

Suggestions: Save money for building or buying a newer PC. You RAM is maxed out at 4GB (that is the motherboard max), which will hinder the performance of some games. Having 8GB of RAM is the "norm" for gaming now. If you want to upgrade a little now, and start saving money to get/build a better system later, then I would suggest the following:

Video Card - Your motherboard has a PCI Express x16 slot (Version 1.0), so to be compatible, I would suggest getting a 2.0 card - example: MSI GeForce GTX 650 Ti - $114.99 USD ($84.99 after rebate) from TigerDirect. I suggest this card because it is a well built card. It doesnt draw too much power from the PSU, but will still give you plenty of graphic power to play those games you listed at medium if not medium/high settings.

PSU - Ultra LS Series V2 500w - $39.99 USD from TigerDirect

This would leave you money to start planning a better build (which we can help with that when you are ready to do so).

In your other post where you had a significantly higher budget I linked to the TS buying guide for entry level gaming PC. If you click that link, then go back a page in the guide you will be at the Budget Build. That will fit your budget here. At least with the budget build you have some upgrade options, as spykezxp pointed out you are really limited in upgrade path with that machine.

Spykezxp, thanks so much! Your answer was very informative and you've helped me a lot.
SNGX1275, thanks for answering my other thread, too :D Yeah, I'm torn between building one from scratch and upgrading. My budgets are different from these two things because there's less things that I need, and I don't want anything too good hehe.

Now I'm really thinking if I should upgrade or not... hmm, I'm more on the new computer side.

I just built my first PC for myself in 6 years last night (and first one in probably 3-4). They are incredibly easy to build now. I wouldn't let your lack of experience sway you too much. However I would encourage watching some youtube videos on it to see others do it.

I just built my first PC for myself in 6 years last night (and first one in probably 3-4). They are incredibly easy to build now. I wouldn't let your lack of experience sway you too much. However I would encourage watching some youtube videos on it to see others do it.
Oh, okay :) Is there anything I should know about building them? (Like as I've heard before, it's kind of scary putting together some parts because it sounds like it's breaking when you're actually clicking it into place? Once again, thanks. :)

If u watch some youtube videos u are not going to think anything broke other than possible when u put the mem. in. and that is easy.

If you try and install the CPU then Heatsink-Fan after you mount the motherboard in the case it will make some noises that might bother you. Simple fix (and better too) is to get the CPU/Heatsink-Fan, and RAM installed before you put the motherboard in the case. Other than that, just plug stuff in where it fits. The 'trickiest' part is the front panel connectors, mostly because the ones for the HDD LED, Power button, reset button are all individual and you have to get them on little pins, and the correct pin certainly matters (luckily if you botch this, nothing blows up, nothing is harmed) - just take a look at the motherboard manual for a bigger diagram of what you are looking at with the correct spots for each of the front panel wires.

Other advice is cheap cases aren't as nice to work with as expensive cases. But they are a great way to save money. You are wanting to do this on a cheap budget, so you'll end up with a crappy case that will cause you frustrations (over a nice one) when building, so my advice here is pay attention to the dimensions. In my years of building them for myself and others, small cases look fine just sitting there, but building in a small cheap case really sucks - so get a big cheap case.

Back