Upgrading from 2000 to XP or not ?

Do you think I should experience some improvements after ungrading 2000 to XP ?

• Yes, many

Votes: 2 20.0%
  • Yes, a few

Votes: 4 40.0%
  • Nothing noticeable

• It will be worse

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

DigitAlex

I'm waiting for Windows XP Service Pack 1 to come out in order to give XP another try ...

I'm using my PC for programming / gaming / surfing / tweaking

So I wonder what do you think guys about upgrading or not from 2000 SP2 / SP3 to XP SP1 ...

I don't have much use for the multi login system of XP and i really hate this candy GUI and "Click here tu subscribe to MSN" stuff so my XP will look like 2000 anyway ...

I'll also have to update my ghost / partition magic versions to have XP and NTFS 5.1 support ...

So I really wonder it I should update all my stuff or not, will I notice some improvements or smth ...

There's the odd nice thing, but in the end, its just eye candy and by and large just an excuse to get another pocketfull of $$$ from you. I don't think you will find it that exciting. There's nothing more annoying than a machine that doesn't work well so I would stick with Win2K for the time being if you are having major probs with XP. The service pack is not going to be some kind of magic wand that will cure all of your ills.

This has actually been discussed quite a bit here. Check out some of the other posts in this forum on this subject.

What Phantasm said is true. It's mostly about the eye candy than anything else from what I've seen. I actually consider XP less stable, but nothing system critical.. Just little quirks every now and then. You can disable the theme "experience" service very quickly, so resources are not lost to it and you can have the original look and feel or Windows.

I don't have much use for the multi login system of XP and i really hate this candy GUI and "Click here tu subscribe to MSN" stuff so my XP will look like 2000 anyway ...

Then that leaves these following plusses to using XP
• System Restore
• Built-in functions, such as CD Burning, Movie Maker, WMP plays DVDs.. Etc.
• XP is more "mainstream", meaning better driver/software support and a longer period of support in the future.
• Better game and application compatibility

If this stuff doesn't matter to you, then there's no reason to break a perfectly good installation of 2000 for XP.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back