Upgrading PC

Status
Not open for further replies.
I only play WoW on my PC and am currently running in at 1024x768 resolution with all low setting pulling 25-30 fps on average. I am looking to upgrade my PC, and i need to know some things that i want to focus on improving in my PC and good hardware that would do that.

Curently have:

2x 512MB Sticks of DDR PC3200(200MHZ)
150GB Hard Drive (Internal)
AMD Athlon 64 Processor 3000+ (Socket 754)
ATI Radeon 9250 AGPx8
450w Power supply
Gigabyte nForce3 250 Motherboard
Windows XP Home Edition

I'm looking to run WoW on high settings smoothly and would like some help on what i could purchase to do so. I'm not looking for PCI-express upgrade, just a good AGPx8 System. Any help would be greatly aprreciated :D

Download CPU-Z and it will tell you about your system.

What Brand is your power supply?

You can by a 754 Motherboard and have PCI-Express.

Note: A typo that I've seen before. An AMD Athlon 64 is not an Athlon XP.

To me it looks like you need a new graphics card. I just recently upgraded mine and i also run agp x8. I found a Sapphire X1650Pro for about $125 and it plays most games on high settings and i have about the same set up as you.

For Wow, a GeForce 6600 should run it on full detail quite easily without breaking the bank.
Like foozy said, some more RAM (1GB recommended) will do wonders to boost performance. Your system still has a lot of life left in it, so make the most of it rather than upgrading.

The 7800GS is overkill for WoW, since it's not a very demanding game at all. Try this instead. For the RAM, I'd go with this RAM. It's the cheapest and of the highest quality as well.

Ok, This is what I think. I know some people are Ati and some are nvidia I like both, but for the price of 125 you could be using a x1650pro with 600 core speed and 1400 memory at GDDR3(the specs are wrong on the site). It also is a 256 with 128 interface. I've been using it and it runs flawless and it's not even loud. I was also in tight budget range so this is what I chose. Here is the link

He doesn't need a wildly powerful card for WoW. The 7600GS is cheap and good enough for WoW, as well as any other game. And he said he only plays WoW, so the 7600GS is good enough for that.

Just upgraded myself

frozed said:
I only play WoW on my PC and am currently running in at 1024x768 resolution with all low setting pulling 25-30 fps on average. I am looking to upgrade my PC, and i need to know some things that i want to focus on improving in my PC and good hardware that would do that.

Curently have:

2x 512MB Sticks of DDR PC3200(200MHZ)
150GB Hard Drive (Internal)
AMD Athlon 64 Processor 3000+ (Socket 754)
ATI Radeon 9250 AGPx8
450w Power supply
Gigabyte nForce3 250 Motherboard
Windows XP Home Edition

I'm looking to run WoW on high settings smoothly and would like some help on what i could purchase to do so. I'm not looking for PCI-express upgrade, just a good AGPx8 System. Any help would be greatly aprreciated :D

Not sure how high end your looking to go but I just got a pc with an 8800gts that scores over 10,000 on 3DMARK06 http://service.futuremark.com/orb/resultanalyzer.jsp?projectType=14&XLID=0&UID=8598789
if you go dell or alienware your looking at $2800 or more for a pc capable of this I paid $1699 and this thing screams play Doom3 and Oblivion at max settings no lag at all (PURE EYE CANDY) ANYWAY i GOT HERE http://www.dualcorexpress.com/ Like this site because I wanted an 8800(smoking card outperforms all others) and it was the only place I could find an affordable 8800 system they even have cheaper systems than mine with 8800's in them but I got the one called earthquake.

I would get Super Talent RAM, inexpensive and just fine. Yeah, I agree with the other folks here... you don't need a super-fast card for WoW. BUT if you want to play other games then I would reconsider, it's all in what you want to play.

had a friend playing wow on a 9600xt

My friend had a 9600xt (I personally prefer Nvidia) but he had a P4 and 1 gig of ram and was able to run wow at almost max settings. I not sure this is a good idea but if it worked it would be about a $50 fix

He wants to play WoW at 1024x768 maxed out completely without any lag. The 9600XT would not be able to do that.
@frozed I found this card for you. It is perfect for WoW and cheaper than the 7600GS too.

There ya go that would be a good card for the game, and pretty cheap to. I agree with Rage_3K_Moiz.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back