Upgrading Radeon HD 5750

Im planning to upgrade my HD 5750.
I will be playing games like BF3, NFS Run, GTA, Just Cause 2 etc.. to name a few...
  • Budget - 15000INR
  • Motherboard - ASUS M4A88T-M-LE
  • Graphic Interface - PCIe 2.0
  • Processor - AMD Phenom II X6 2.8Ghz
  • RAM - Corsair 6GB
  • PSU - Huntkey 600W
Firstly I had the GTX 660Ti in my mind. It got released recently for $300 recently in US but in India it costs 24000INR nearly $430. So its out of my budget.
Hence I'm back with either the GTX 560Ti or HD 6870. So plz suggest me the best one which will serve me for the next 2years atleast.

TIA.

Hi Swagat.

You might be able to snag a HIS Radeon HD 6950 for around 15,000 INR. Was available on flipkart a few days back. Check with your local dealers. Else I would go with the GTX 560 Ti.

I'd highly recommend a new PSU; that Huntkey one is of very low quality, and if you get a more powerful card, it's likely to give out.

I'd recommend this video card and this PSU.

It'll go a little over Rs. 16k though; if you're absolutely limited by budget, get this card instead.

@Rage_3K_Moiz - I'm more inclined towards nvidia cards because of physX...
But what caught my attention was that you mentioned my PSU is of low quality... Will there be any impact on my other system components, when the PSU goes out?
Suppose I chose to use the same PSU with the gtx560 ti for instance, will it cause any damage to the graphics card or processor?? I'm really worried now.... :eek:

Well, now that I checked out the specs of the Huntkey PSU, I'm not impressed. The amperage on the 12V rails is not that great. I believe that it might give performance similar to the Cooler Master Extreme Power 600W. The CM, however, does run my HD 4890 with an OCd Phenom II X3 720 alright. So the Huntkey might be able to power the HD 6950 but I don't think it's a good idea. The 6950 consumes slightly greater power than the 4890.

A good-quality PSU usually has some form of internal protection mechanism that prevents it from overloading other components in the system in case of a failure. Low-quality PSUs tend to lack these, or have sub-standard ones that can fry one or more components in the system when the PSU dies.

I've seen cheap PSUs like Deer and EZ-Cool ones die spectacularly (accompanied by a loud pop and sparks) and kill everything in the system along with themselves.

Thanks guys for all your comments and views...
Will wait a bit more and review all my options for now .... :)

Back