Upgrading the RAM on an older Hp

Status
Not open for further replies.

YingYang

I figure since the holiday season is coming along, I should do some upgrades on my primary computer so it will last another year or so before I need to completely rehaul it. I want to upgrade the RAM on my Hp Pavilion 522c up to 1Ghz but I've already seen the end result of my roommate just blindly buying RAM. It resulted in about a month without a computer because his Hp would not reboot and he had to send it back to the factory to be repaired. I can't take that risk. Will this RAM, http://www.tigerdirect.com/applicat...tails.asp?EdpNo=576571&Sku=U10-1904&CatId=147 work? Is there a cheaper alternative?
I am not a serious gamer but I want to be able to run a decent game every now and then. I hope to update my graphics card soon as well but as of right now, I mostly use my computer for academic purposes that include audio editing and other memory intensive tasks.

The manual basically amounts to: "DDR DIMMs must be 184-pin unbuffered DDR SDRAM

Here is extremely rudimentary spec sheet if that helps: http://h20015.www2.hp.com/en/document.jhtml?lc=en&docName=bph07567

I'd recommend that you find out what brand was used by HP in that machine, then buy that brand. If you are completely replacing your RAM, go to Crucial.com, they have an excellent selection of RAM that is approved for use in various brands of PCs. Just look up your PC by model, they will tell you what you need. Crucial is by far the best in terms of quality and service.

If all else fails, contact HP, they will be happy to sell you some overpriced RAM that will work.

Whatever you do, DO NOT MIX RAM BRANDS, nothing good can come of it.

Originally posted by StormBringer
I'd recommend that you find out what brand was used by HP in that machine, then buy that brand. If you are completely replacing your RAM, go to Crucial.com, they have an excellent selection of RAM that is approved for use in various brands of PCs. Just look up your PC by model, they will tell you what you need. Crucial is by far the best in terms of quality and service.

If all else fails, contact HP, they will be happy to sell you some overpriced RAM that will work.

Whatever you do, DO NOT MIX RAM BRANDS, nothing good can come of it.

Okay, so if I can't get HP to give a brand name without a sales pitch, either live with the standard 256Mb of RAM or upgrade with X brand and take out the OEM RAM? That is what I am understanding from this thread and a few others I found by searching this forum.

well, someone might be able to ID the brand for you, or it might be printed on the chip(don't hold your breath on that one though) Also, if you are upgrading from 256 MB to 1 GB, you'll have to replace the 256MB stick, as you only have 2 slots. You'll need to replace whatever you currently have with 512MB modules.

Originally posted by StormBringer
well, someone might be able to ID the brand for you, or it might be printed on the chip(don't hold your breath on that one though) Also, if you are upgrading from 256 MB to 1 GB, you'll have to replace the 256MB stick, as you only have 2 slots. You'll need to replace whatever you currently have with 512MB modules.

I am trying to space this project over 2 different pay periods so I will work my way up to 1 Gb instead of doing it all at once. I am physically looking at the RAM now and the only reason I am holding my breath is the thin dust layer inside.:p

I really have no great desire to wade through HP's site only to find a toll service line that in all likelyhood will tell me just to buy more of their RAM after a 10 minute conversation with them. So I am thinking of buying from the site you directed me to but just to be on the safe side, remove the existing RAM, right?

I think maybe you mean 1GB of ram and not 1GHz? Or are you talking about a processor upgrade too?

You don't have to remove the existing RAM, but there is an increased chance of instability and other odd errors with mixed RAM types.

The problem you are going to have though by spacing this out is like Stormbringer said you only have 2 slots for the RAM, if you buy 1 512 mixing that with your existing 256 is probably not going to work real well. So what he's saying is you should go all out and get 2 512s or go partially and get 2 256meg modules, which wouldn't be real ideal if you want to get up to a gig later.

Originally posted by SNGX1275
I think maybe you mean 1GB of ram and not 1GHz? Or are you talking about a processor upgrade too?

You don't have to remove the existing RAM, but there is an increased chance of instability and other odd errors with mixed RAM types.

I am so tired from doing projects and assignments before finals that I can't type coherently.:D

My plan is just RAM for the moment and then upgrade my video card. I figure I am not enough of a connoisseur of gaming to really need more than the above; I figure by the time my system is becming completely obsolete for newer games, I will have a friend help me build a system built exclusively for that purpose.

If he wants 1GB he HAS to replace his current module(s)
His board has 2 slots, the most he'd get is 768MB(256+512=768) if he currently has 1 256MB stick.
By removing that, he can get 2 512MB sticks and have 1GB

So yea buy 512 get rid of the 256 pu tin the 512 then when you can get naother 512 get the same brand etc... pop that baby in and youll be all set....

Does anyone know how to tell whether you need pc100 or pc133 without opening the case... or do i have to look at the physical ram.. or does it really matter.... if i get the pc133 and its only pc100 compatable itll work but only at pc100 speed...am i understanding this correctly?

You can use a sustem information utility like SISoft Sandra, look at the motherboard specs/manual, look at BIOS.

Yes, PC133 memory will happily run at 100MHz.

Hey I have a quick question, I've always known about the fact that PC133 will function at PC100 speeds...However if you look here http://www.pny.com/products/memory/ on PNY's website, to the right hand side there's an Announcement stating the PC133 memory they sell will no longer function as PC100. Did they place some sort of a lock on the bus speeds or what?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back