Upgrading Windows XP 32-bit to Windows 7 64-bit?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zeox

I'm currently running Windows XP Professional 32-bit. I have a preorder set for Windows 7 Professional 64-bit. I understand that I will need to do a clean install, which isn't a problem. However, I have one problem. Since this is a student offer I am taking advantage of, Microsoft are limiting me to an upgrade edition of either 32-bit or 64-bit to download. Whilst I have read that the upgrade editions can be used to clean install so long as a prior version of Windows is detected, I am unsure as to whether it will work due to the preordered install being a 64-bit.

Will I be able to start this 64-bit install of Windows 7 Professional from within my 32-bit Windows XP Professional? If not, will I be able to create a USB boot key and install it from within the BIOS? I know this is possible with the full edition, but don't forget this is the upgrade edition I have ordered (and sadly the only version I can order), so will the upgrade edition be able to detect my Windows XP installation from within the BIOS? I have also ordered the Windows 7 Disk Kit alongside the digital download if that helps..?

Sorry for the confusing question. It would probably explain why I haven't been able to find an answer in my past 5 hours of researchinhg the subject on the internet :haha:

Thanks for any help guys :)

The Windows 7 upgrade 64 bit will give you install options. Just boot from the install DVD and follow the prompts

I don't have any proof to back this up, but I'm in the same boat as you and I think you'll be able to install 7 64bit by booting off the disk you make from the dl. Install it initially without entering a key (should give you usable windows for 30 days), then launch the setup from within 7 and 'upgrade' your current installation and use your product key this time. (thats how it worked with Vista)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back