USB Drive As Fast or Faster than 8GB FlashVoyager GT

Status
Not open for further replies.
Greets,

Does anyone know of a 16GB or larger drive which is as fast or faster than :

Read speed: 34MB/s
Write speed: 27MB/s

Which was my FlashVoyager GT 8GB which is now in need of replacement.

Thanks!

Flash drives are all the same basic speed and I've had several go bad. Newer external hard drives are getting smaller and don't require extra power. A friend just bought one recently (A Western Digital) which is small enough to fit in your pocket.

Thank you, yes they go bad.

Since the manufacturers do not publish consistent speeds on their specs (some use 122x some use mb/s, and some don't publish at all), I am forced to ask on the forum if anyone has actual knowledge of a USB Flash Drive as fast as my current (which is the fastest I have ever owned).

If anyone knows, it would be greatly appreciated.

This isn't really something that most consumers are worried about, thus it's hard to find specs published - by manufacturers or by reviewers.

Is there any particular reason it needs to be so fast?

<sigh>

Of course there is, or I would have placed an order a long time ago.

As someone who has owned MANY of these drives, there are definite differences in write speeds. A drive with a poor write speed on small files can take forever to move the data if it is comprised of smaller files. Programs such as RoboForm insist on creating separate 1K files for each card, which can mean the difference between 1 minute on my 8GB GT (no longer manufactured) and 20-40 minutes on a slower drive (such as a DataTraveller).

Anyway, it would be REALLY appreciated if someone who owns a USB Flash Drive with a quick write speed on small files could please speak up.

No matter how much you attempt to belittle me or my attempts to assist you, I'll still offer what useful knowledge I have.

And that is this:

The Corsair Flash Voyager GT is the fastest consumer flash drive that I've run across, and can still be had in 4-16GB Configurations from various websites (Froogle it)

The Patriot Xporter XT is a very close second (2 Mbps slower both ways), and has been on my keychain for several months. It is widely available online and in several retailers.

Brands to stay away from include anything by LG, certain Kingston drives (Specifically the cheap DataTravelers), Sony (As always, overpriced junk), and Emprex/Envision.

It was certainly not my intention to belittle any help (and it was to avoid that potentiality that I went into detail as to why speed IS important). I will admit that my heart sinks every time I get a reply questioning the inquiry rather than providing an answer, and in case that disheartened view came through, I do apologize.

The Voyager GT 16GB (same model as my beloved 8GB) changed something up and is now ridiculously slow (according to reviews). The GT teaser was a trick in that case.

I am just desperate to replace my GT 8GB for something equally as fast, and since the manufacturers hide that information, I have had to hit forums.

I do thank you for your input and will check out those models. I suspect I need something at least "200x" (which still is not enough information with regard to small file write speeds).

I found some benchmarks which indicate that the best I am going to get is 1/2 of the write speed present on the no-longer-available Flash Voyager GT 8GB. That is the OCZ Throttle 16GB in USB Mode.

Oh well.

For the sake of those who come after me, I went out and purchased an OCZ Throttle 16GB Drive, which is eSata on one side, and mini-USB on the other.

While the notion of not being to just plug into a USB port is daunting (due to the mini-USB nature), I can confirm that the drive, on USB, was just as fantastic as my Voyager GT 8GB.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back