Usb drive enclosure help needed

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi all,
I'm having problems with my usb drive enclosures and I hope someone can help. Whenever I connect either of them to the computer they are recognised by windows (xp pro) and appear in device manager by not in 'my computer' so I can't access them. It's happening with 2 different enclosures so I don't think they are faulty. What should I do?
Thanks in advance.

Try these things

Do the enclosures need to be powered? Even a powered USB hub may not be adequate.

Second, do other USB devices work? Does the device work on other computers? If it doesn't your problem is with your hard drive.

Lastly, did you set the jumpers on the back of the drive correctly?

Hi, Thanks for replying.
The enclosures each come with their own power supply and seem to power up fine.
I have a maxtor onetouch and a couple of sound cards that I'm using through Usb ports so I don't think the ports are the problem. I've tried the enclosures on my laptop and the same thing happens.
I haven't changed the jumper settings on the hard drives, I took them out of older pc's which only had one drive each in them so I figured that they'd work ok. What setting should I set the jumpers to?
Thanks again.

Jumper settings

As the previous poster said try master otherwise try cable select. If you no longer have the documentation for the drives, you'll need to go on line to find out how to set them. For instance, Maxtor has a nice listing of various jumper settings for different drives.

Also, if you are running Windows ME, Windows 98 you'll need to install the drivers which should have come with the drives. Windows XP doesn't require drivers to be installed.

To my knowldge they have stickers on them displaying jumper settings so that shouldn't be a problem. I'll try that out after work and post back. Thanks guys.

Right click on My Computer.

Go to Manage.

Go to Disk Management on the left hand side.

You probably need to create a partition on the new USB drive. To do that, right click on the drive that you just added and select Create Partition and follow the bouncing balls.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back