USB Drive Location same has HDD

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey,

I want to install Windows 7 using a USB pen drive, since I can't using my DVD drive; but I was having a problem - the cmd prompt wouldn't recognize the USB drive I had connected, so I checked and saw that its location is the same as my HDD. How can I change this? They are both on location 0, so the cmd only recognizes my Hard Drive. How can I change this?

Any help would be appreciated, thanks!!

you need to make the USB drive bootable... and then make sure the device gets booted before the HDD. you can go into the BIOS settings if you need to change the boot order. there are a lot of little applications that let you make flash drives bootable, like WinSetupFromUSB. Google it.

Cheers guys, great help! =D

The only problem now is that I can't install 7, the installation says there is a driver missing, even though I'm running it through the USB drive... What's wrong?

No, it just says there is a CD/DVD drive driver missing, but I don't understand it since I booted it from the USB... What should I do?

When exactly does the message pop up during installation? You might be able to bypass it for the time being if you disconnect the power to your optical drive.

The following message appears:

"A required CD/DVD drive device driver is missing. If you have a driver floppy disk, cd dvd or usb flash drive please insert it now."; which is odd since I'm booting the installation off the USB pen..

Should I physically disconnect it or is there a way of cutting power to it?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back