USB flashdrive light on

learninmypc

On my USB flashdrives, they have what I'm guessing is a LED that lights up when its plugged in. On my W7 when I click the safe to remove icon the light don't go out like it does on my XP. Is there a NON registry involved way to change it or am I stuck with it? TIA :)
Size & name brand don't matter.

Does the light stay solid on when it's plugged in? And it flashes when you're copying/reading stuff to it?

If yes, this is a 'power' and 'indicator' light in one. You can't turn the LED off unless you take apart the stick.

Does the light stay solid on when it's plugged in? And it flashes when you're copying/reading stuff to it?

If yes, this is a 'power' and 'indicator' light in one. You can't turn the LED off unless you take apart the stick.
Yes & thank you. When I click the safe to remove on my xp, the light goes out letting me know I can remove it. On the W7 it stays on which confused me. Thank you.

You can confirm that Windows is 'ejecting' it by having Disk Management and Device Manager open at the same time. Before eject, stick should be visible; and gone after eject.

I have no explanation as to why WinXP turns off the light, apart from maybe it's disabling the entire USB port..? :(

Ok, on my W7, I get a bubble by the notification area telling me its safe to remove it.
When it first started happening, I'd shut the W7 down to be safe 'n' not sorry.

Back