Usb Hd Connection Problem

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a new computer (xp). i keep an external hd for backup purposes. when i plug it into the front usb port it works fine but when i try it in one of the back ports it appears in my computer but when i try to access it the system freezes and i get a message about an I/O error. Looking at the forums there does seem to be a lot of problems with usb connections. i would prefer to attach at back just to keep the ex-hd out of the way. anyone got any ideas?
kemkem

Sounds like the USB/rear ports are under-powered.
A powered 4 port hub might be just the thing and not too expensive.

patio. :cool:

usb problem

Perhaps i should have explained that the printer is connected to the rear ports without at the moment any problem. do you think it might be a situation where the ports are only strong enough to carry one connection successfully. it does seem strange that a new pc would come underpowered.

It's very common in new PC's . They put USB ports everywhere and skimp on PSU's...

patio. :cool:

Check Cables!

I have to tell you that I got some problems with my external hard disk too, which was inside a USB 2.0 enclosure. The disk spontaneously turned off and on and windows xp tried to recognise it every time (ruining every job I did at that moment). I tried everything to no effect, I changed performance settings and drivers, I rearranged the drive-enclosure connection and cables, but nothing seemed to work.
Happily, after some thinking, I found the solution and now everything is going OK for a long time.
The problem was due to my USB cable. The one I used was an 1.1 cable. But Hi-speed USB devices need another type of cable, which is identical to 1.1 but has extra shielding. The 1.1 cables are subject to interference. Try to find a 2.0 cable and I am sure many of your problems will vanish automatically...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back