USB unknown? I've tried everything!

Hello all, its my first post on this wonderful forum. I have a big problem with my gaming computer. When i plug in a flash drive it says "Unknown Device". I have tried various methods to solve it including,
  • Rebooting my computer
  • Going to device manager and unistalling all of the usb ports and than rebooting twice
  • Opening my computer and seeing if it was wired correctly, it was
  • Trying multiple ports
And everything didn't work. My house is now under renovation and my computer has moved away from the modem. I purchased a wifi router and a wireless network card. When i plug in the network card or any usb device except for a mouse and a keyboard, it will say "unknown device". Thus making it impossible to use the Internet on my computer. I am desperate for help as the computer is useless to me without the Internet. Now for the question,
*How do i solve this?*
Thank you for your help
Dan

Those USB unknown messages can be frustrating to solve (as you've already found out!) a few more things you might try/consider

Reinstall the chipset drivers as well See [post=751005]How to Reinstall Your USB Controllers and Motherboard Chipset Drivers[/post]

Also, fyi, different USB devices can have different power requirements. USB Keyboard and mice are "low powered" devices (they only require up to 100mA from the USB port). So also wonder if you have a power issue on your USB ports. Your other devices may be "high powered" devices (requiring between 100 to 500mA from the port).

Have you tried any of you problem devices on other computers to see if they work? You might also go to a local brick and mortar store (so can easily return it if not help) and buy a USB hub that comes with its own AC adapter (not one that draws power from computer port) and then plug your device into the self powered hub

Thank you, the reinstalling usb controllers doesn't work. I doubt that my usb ports are of high quality as half of them aren't Evan high speed. The devices work on my laptop so i'm sure that they are fine. Also about the Usb hub with an ac adapter. Is it an external port powered without the power supply? Also, how does it connect to the computer?

Thank you, the reinstalling usb controllers doesn't work
Look back at my link. Did you try reinstalling BOTH the controllers AND the chipset drivers?
Also about the Usb hub with an ac adapter. Is it an external port powered without the power supply? Also, how does it connect to the computer?
A USB hub has a USB cable to connect to your computer. But, more specifically, you want to try a "self-powered" USB hub which also has its own AC adapter you can plug into a wall outlet. A self powered hub draws its power from AC vs drawing power from your USB ports (which might be the problem if computer ports not supplying enough power themselves for some of your devices)

In any event, is just a guess for something else worth trying

Back