Using 2 HDs 1 for XP one for programs

Status
Not open for further replies.

atherton1989

Hi i recently purchased a new 80GB HD IDE, and i also have a 20GB IDE already in my PC already, i would like to know how i could place the OS (Windows XP) on to the 20GB and use the larger one for my programs and documents?

Thanks

Atherton1989

Yes you can. Just make sure the computer is set up to boot off of the 20gb with Windows.

Thanks, ok yh i know how to do that...but is it really jus that simple, do i need RAID or anything like that cos i dont understand much about RAID. and will i be able to put my programs on the larger HD and run them from there without a problem?

generally with a RAID 0 setup you want both drives to be identical in type and size. Since yours are vastly different, I don't recommed it.

Use the slower drive for storage, the faster one for running programs.

You will need to format both drives and reload the OS on your new drive.
You can move the documents folder to the new drive by right clocking on my documents and selecting properties. Also you might want to move your internet files to the secondary drive. This will cause your primary drive to fragment less over time.

You install windows on your 20GB. You can create partitions on your 80GB drive ie one for programs and another for storage etc.

Make sure you specify during the installation of programs that you want to install them on your "Programs partition".

Your 20Gb is probably quite old and its most likely on its way out. So i would just create partitions on your 80GB for windows xp and storage; and the 20GB for a backup of storage.

If your just gong to install windows xp on the 20GB then it just needs less than 5GB. You will be wasting the remaining 15GB.

I agree with IBN
use the newer drive for OS
make a 10 to 15 gb partiton the rest storage data use the 20 for what ever left
unimportant stuff
once you have this setup
you can move your virtual memory over to the 20 gb this should help speed up machine some
make a 2gb partition on the 20gb first sectors of drive
make it fat32 file system use that for VM

ok thanks for all ur help guys...i really appreciate it...will creating a partition on my 80gb slow windows loading??? cos thats my main concern...i want my windows to load up quickly? any tips please?

I have two hard drives. On the smaller one i have 4 windows xp partitions on which i have dfferent programs installed also. the larger hard drive i use for storage.

The thing with your hard drives is that the 20GB is probably too old to rely on it might die any sec.

na my 20GB aint that old...im running it atm...its quite gd...i fink i could rely on it...plus even if it does die...cant i just install windows on the newer HD????

also im not running a high spec PC...jus 512Ram 1.7 P4 processor 128 Ati graphics so im not goin to strain my Old HD???

Well your new hard drive will be better. Aslong as you make partitions on your 80GB. Dont install every single program on one windows xp installations because that'll make it slow down. Have one for games another for internet another for multimedia editing etc and others for storage.

Ok then...well i have all my programs and files confortably on 20GB at the moment, so if i partitioned my 80GB HD, what would give me better proformance programs or storeage on the separate 20GB HD???

Store on 20GB. But personally i would store on the 80GB and a Backup storage on the 20GB.

Aslong as you have different partitions for different programs you should be fine. BTW defragment on a regular basis.

PS

Check out HyperOS. Google it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back