Vaio Laptop keeps shutting down

My laptop shuts down a few seconds after its been turned on. I've tried blowing the dust out with a straw. Only lasted longer before shutting down. It might be overheating. But it never shut off when performing scans. I tried to leave it alone after a while. No luck, only lasted longer. The longest its gone without shutting off is when I tried to get to twitch. Managed to type a comment. Tried it again later, it shut off once the adds popped on. It shuts off like I pressed the power button for too long. I have no idea what's wrong and what to do

What could cause..."dying computer"? If it is a big dust bunny, blowing with a straw will not work. SO in the hope that you have an up-to-date Anti-Virus and are NOT infected:

Heat throttling due to broken fan - does fan work? if not, fix or replace

Heat throttling due to dust blanket inside - clean inside of computer (check Youtube for instruction on cleaning laptop)

Heat throttling due to hardened thermal paste on CPU or GPU or southbridge - clean & replace (see Youtube for videos on this)

Failing PSU - check voltage and temps against norms using HWInfo (hwinfo.com)

Failing HDD - run cleanup/defrag, make sure a good sized chunk of storage is free

Failing HDD - check SMART, if HDD bad, replace

Bad system software - run System File Checker (SFC)

Let us know what you find. Error codes, etc are all grist to the mill and would help the diagnosis. Any more help will require much more information about your system, what it is, how it has been working, how long you've had it, when and what has happened over last months

The Anti-virus (if in place and up-to-date) probably prevented infection, so, hopefully, we are facing a problem other than that.

Please clarify "But it never shut off when performing scans. " What scans? Run when / how?

Does the fan run? Is it blowing warm air out of the laptop?

If you can get to the BIOS screen, does it keep running fine (indicating a software problem in the regular OS)? OR, does it restart, too (indicating a hardware issue, like dust bunnies).

Look at several instruction videos before attempting a cleaning (here's one
).

Back