Valve: Non-gaming software titles coming to Steam September 5

Shawn Knight

TechSpot Staff
Staff member
Valve has announced that a set of non-gaming software titles will be hitting Steam next month. The new applications will range in category from creativity to productivity and will take advantage of popular Steamworks features such as easy installation, automatic……

[newwindow="https://www.techspot.com/news/49710-valve-non-gaming-software-titles-coming-to-steam-september-5.html"]Read more[/newwindow]

ikesmasher

TS Evangelist
good idea, just as long as gaming remains the focus...I would rather not have software splattering my screen unless I was specifically looking for it, but I like just browsing through games.

Julio Franco

TechSpot Editor
Staff member
I love Steam for gaming and I know it's done wonders for PC gaming (which MS didn't care to do IMO). But at the same time I have to be against closed software ecosystems and stores where one or two parties control distribution as it is on mobile platforms.

ghasmanjr

TS Booster
good idea, just as long as gaming remains the focus...I would rather not have software splattering my screen unless I was specifically looking for it, but I like just browsing through games.
I agree. I think that you should have to search for the software. I like opening up steam and seeing the homepage full of the newest/greatest games available.

gwailo247

TechSpot Chancellor
Midweek Madness:

Now 50% off Spreadsheet Commando.

Buy now and get a free pocket protector hat for TF2.

Coming soon, scientific calculator DLC!

Reactions: dividebyzero

lawfer

TechSpot Paladin
Midweek Madness:

Now 50% off Spreadsheet Commando.

Buy now and get a free pocket protector hat for TF2.

Coming soon, scientific calculator DLC!
LMAO!

That last sentence literally made me fall off my chair. Good one sir!

ET3D

TechSpot Paladin
I agree dividebyzero, having to launch software from Steam would be a major down side.

TekGun

TS Booster
Unless of course like most games on steam they have an offline mode.
If Valve segregates the games and software correctly this could be quite good.

gwailo247

TechSpot Chancellor
Oh, and lets not forget achievements. Gotta have achievements.

Think of how much productivity would increase if your employees are trying to get that "Bill 10,000 customers" badge on their Steam profile.

GeforcerFX

TS Evangelist
Any guess's on when Valve will just turn steam into a operating system, I would be cool with that personally, especially if it remained free.