Valve sets February 9 release date for Portal 2

Matthew DeCarlo

Staff

Countless release dates have poured out of Gamescom in the last week, including Crysis 2, Rage, Dragon Age II, and now Portal 2 has joined the party. After delaying the title from holiday 2010 to an ambiguous 2011 release window and cancelling its E3 press event, Valve has finally secured a precise launch day for the first-person puzzler: February 9, 2011. That goes for all platforms, including PC (both Windows and OS X), Xbox 360, and PlayStation 3.

The sequel takes place hundreds of years after the original, but players will still control the same character, Chell, who was apparently in stasis for that timeframe. Awakened by one of GLaDOS' personality cores, Chell inadvertently wakes GLaDOS and thus begins the twisted journey of dodging personified turrets and escaping deathtraps. Besides polished graphics and co-op, Portal 2 features new gameplay elements including tractor beams, paint-like gels and more.

Permalink to story.

InB4Ep3.

On another note that's the old voice actor. They replaced Richard Loyd with Stepehn Merchant.

Excellent! I have my late winter, early spring gaming lineup all ready to go then. Portal 2, Crysis 2 and Dragon Age II. :D

I still haven't played Portal 1... Is it worth the time and/or money?

TomSEA, don't forget about "Dawn of War II: Retribution" (just announced) and "Dead Space 2".

natefalk said:
I still haven't played Portal 1... Is it worth the time and/or money?

TomSEA, don't forget about "Dawn of War II: Retribution" (just announced) and "Dead Space 2".

It was free on steam for like a week...

Must have missed it, that's one hellava good deal.

I'll probably give Portal a shot eventually. I have heard good things and the trailer for P2 looks good.

natefalk said:

Must have missed it, that's one hellava good deal.

I'll probably give Portal a shot eventually. I have heard good things and the trailer for P2 looks good.

Well if you don't want to buy it I think i made an alternate account just to get an extra copy of it. If I can remember the password and name you could have it to play the game.

nate...100% you should buy this. Amazing game. Its fun to play, graphics are fair, and the computer "GLaDOS" is freaking hilarious. The amusement factor alone is enough reason to play the game.

You can probably finish the basic game in a day, but there are lots of expert levels and hard challenges that take some creative thinking to solve.

I agree with previous poster - Portal was great - but that is a really lame trailer/intro/whatever.

Back