Valve shares a few user stats about Steam for Mac

Status
Not open for further replies.

Matthew DeCarlo

Staff

It's been about a week since Valve opened Steam for Mac to the public and the company has followed up with some usage statistics. The developer reports that around two thirds of all Steam Mac users are running on a laptop, which isn't a shock considering the popularity of Apple's MacBook line. Portal supposedly crashes one fifth as often on Macs as on PCs, and that isn't terribly surprising either since there are fewer hardware configurations.

There is one detail that we wouldn't have guessed, however: in only 7 days, more than 11% of all Steam purchases are for the Mac. We're not sure if this suggests that Mac-compatible titles (which are also for PC) account for 11% of purchases, or if that figure actually represents Mac players. Shacknews expects the company to release more stats in the future, so hopefully that will be made clearer.

Permalink to story.

I assume it's because the Mac users don't have any games so they are buying them up and it will go up until it levels out. If you own a mac you didn't own a single game for it(probably) and now you can own quite a number so there jumping on and buying. As much as I love my laptop(PC), nothing beats a desktop when it comes to gaming.

I wonder if the mac mini's and are classified as desktops or if they are classified with laptops given their similar hardware.

Quite surprised with the crashing report considering how many bugs there are in most of the titles, and that portal never crashed on any of my computers, yet crashed as soon as it loaded on my mates mac.

The buying figures will settle in a few weeks, but i'm still having issues getting portal on my mac in the first place... frakking servers...

I'm sure the sales will definitely settle down on the Mac end, just high because they are excited to have games. I thought about getting it for my Mac Mini (didn't have Steam on PC either), but then I decided I didn't have a good setup for gaming in my living room where the Mini is (connected to tv). When I found out Portal was free for everyone I just got it for PC.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back