Variable access to internet

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hodsocks

I am having a problem with a variable connection to the internet, its Win 98SE with IE6 SP1.
Sometimes it will happily connect to the internet, othertimes it doesn't want to know. When it does connect it will then lose the connection after a few minutes. It sems to be connecting to pipex broadband Ok and even appears to be connected when IE6 cannot connect to the website. Strangely when it can't open a website it will happily check for e-mail with Outlook Express and download any available
So far I have ran Adaware, Spybot and AVG antivirus and deleted anything found, I have deleted all cookies and temporary files, ran the fix for winsock. I tried to run the online scans from pandasoftware and trend micro but in both cases the connection was lost before completion. It seems to be very hit and miss whether we can surf the net yet we have no problem connecting to pipex broadband.
Has anyone any ideas , because at the moment i am struggling to think of a solution.

Read this thread. Then post HijackThis and AVG Antispyware logs as attachments into this thread. That is, if you can stay connected long enough to download these programs :)
Cheers

I forgot to mention that I had run hijackthis and it was clean, AVG antispyware does not work with Win 98SE.

r u sure it's not a broken network card? It seems a hardware or software problem, not malware. I don't know that much about computer networking, though, so somebody else might have to take it from here.
Cheers :)

The d-link broadband modem is connected via a USB cable to the computer, the lights on the modem suggest a good connection.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back