Verizon and Gateway offer 3G-enabled netbook, LT2016u

Status
Not open for further replies.

Matthew DeCarlo

Staff

Gateway and Verizon are collaborating to release a new netbook with support for Verizon's 3G mobile broadband service. The Gateway LT2016u will be available through Verizon's website and stores on October 4, and will retail for $149.99 after a $100 mail-in rebate, which will arrive in the form of a debit card. Naturally, Verizon expects customers sign a two-year mobile broadband contract. This includes 250MB of monthly access plus $.10 per MB overage for $39.99 a month, or 5GB plus $.5/MB overage at $59.99/month.

The LT2016u is outfitted with a 10.1" WSVGA LED display, an Intel Atom N270 CPU, 1GB of RAM, a 160GB HDD, a .3 megapixel webcam, Wi-Fi, Ethernet, USB and VGA ports, a three-in-one media card reader, two speakers, a microphone, a six-cell battery, Windows XP Home, and weighs 2.95lbs. This netbook follows the launch of Gateway's LT3100 and LT2000, which debuted over the summer.

Permalink to story.

250MB haha... Don't u dare download anything or watch any videos. Even 5GB is a joke. Shows you that cell networks aren't really capable of high traffic volume or they are just greedy. I'm not sure which is the case.

Yes 3G sucks for bandwidth...but it is essentially a 'ready to go' wireless network that works anywhere you have 3G access. Thats a pretty big area of service you're paying for. If you're going to surf the net anyway and can't stand the itty bitty cellphones that can do this why not go 3G enabled netbook for ease of use? I'm not a big fan of Gateway but I'm interested to see who else will jump on this bandwagon. If this 'early adopter' technology takes off and more people end up using it the 3G plans will only get better for pricing and bandwidth.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back