Verizon to kill Kin Studio on January 31

Emil

Posts: 152   +0
Verizon is planning to close Microsoft's KIN Studio, the backbone of the cloud services for the Kin device and really the only thing that made it truly interesting. Kin Studio will be killed off on January 31, 2011, according to a leaked image posted by WPCentral.

Read the whole story
 

mattfrompa

Posts: 576   +73
So they revived it to try and sell off the remaining stock, only to end support shortly after? Stay classy, Verizon...and I still don't have service at work, but yes I am glad to contribute just the same to your amazing 4G network I will rarely/if ever utilize :[
 

Vrmithrax

Posts: 1,519   +552
A short play by Vrmithrax.
Title: Next of Kin

Verizon: Hey, come buy this great Kin phone
Consumer: Didn't that phone bomb the first time around?
Verizon: Nooo, it was just misunderstood! You should totally buy it, it's coooooool!
Consumer: I dunno...
Verizon: We made the data plans for it more reasonable!
Consumer: ...
Verizon: Aww, c'mon! What's the worst that could happen?
Consumer: Well... Umm... Ok, I guess.
Verizon: Great! Sign here... And here... And down here... There you go!
Consumer: Thanks... I think!
Verizon: Oh, by the way, your phone sucks and we're killing off all the cool stuff on it!
Verizon: Thanks for choosing Verizon!
Consumer: DOH!

*fade to black as Verizon runs off snickering and counting money*
 

princeton

Posts: 1,674   +1
Vrmithrax said:
A short play by Vrmithrax.
Title: Next of Kin

Verizon: Hey, come buy this great Kin phone
Consumer: Didn't that phone bomb the first time around?
Verizon: Nooo, it was just misunderstood! You should totally buy it, it's coooooool!
Consumer: I dunno...
Verizon: We made the data plans for it more reasonable!
Consumer: ...
Verizon: Aww, c'mon! What's the worst that could happen?
Consumer: Well... Umm... Ok, I guess.
Verizon: Great! Sign here... And here... And down here... There you go!
Consumer: Thanks... I think!
Verizon: Oh, by the way, your phone sucks and we're killing off all the cool stuff on it!
Verizon: Thanks for choosing Verizon!
Consumer: DOH!

*fade to black as Verizon runs off snickering and counting money*
"they can trade in their Kin device for a free 3G phone until March 31, 2011."
 

Vrmithrax

Posts: 1,519   +552
princeton said:
"they can trade in their Kin device for a free 3G phone until March 31, 2011."
Heh... Oh, I saw that. Just joking around about one of the most drawn out and convoluted bait and switch maneuvers in recent memory.

I'll reserve my judgement on just how badly the Kin consumers got screwed until I see just which phones Verizon has decided are eligible for that trade in. Hopefully they get decent Android smartphones in trade.
 

princeton

Posts: 1,674   +1
Vrmithrax said:
princeton said:
"they can trade in their Kin device for a free 3G phone until March 31, 2011."
Heh... Oh, I saw that. Just joking around about one of the most drawn out and convoluted bait and switch maneuvers in recent memory.

I'll reserve my judgement on just how badly the Kin consumers got screwed until I see just which phones Verizon has decided are eligible for that trade in. Hopefully they get decent Android smartphones in trade.
It better have a galaxy S on that list. Otherwise verizon's gunna get a lot of bad press.
 

fpsgamerJR62

Posts: 489   +0
"they can trade in their Kin device for a free 3G phone" ? sounds a bit vague to me. A lot of entry-level devices now incorporate 3G. It's hardly cutting edge technology anymore. The Kin consumers will probably end up with some more phones being cleared from Verizon's inventory in exchange for their neutered phones.