Very slow Broadband

Status
Not open for further replies.

Samputer

Hi Guys
i have posted this before but i think i did a very bad job at explaining it so here i am again, i would appreciate any help whatsoever you could give me so here goes...

I have numerous Computers, none of which are networked and i am on 576kbps broadband all of them seem to run the broadband fine and i get good speeds (well as good as i can get in my area:( )

But when i put it on my laptop it seems to run very slowly the handshake (as on all of them which is confusing is 1.1mbps ) but the speeds i suspect is much much slower because for example something i am downloading this morning (although this is approx the same for all downloads) it took me 20 minutes to download 2 meg.

Also the modem seems to restart itself, the sagem f@st 800 is my modem and it reintialises the line and disconnects the broadband periodically (it seems to be as i transfer more data)

I believe it may be a problem with the USB port (i only have 1) as it would disconnect and reconnect my ipod and flash drive etc before, however it says that it is only using 400ma

Tbh i am pretty unsure about whats going on and any help would be greatly appreciated

Thanks all!

Your friendly neighbourhood Samputer

buy a ethernet card for your notebook.
They are cheap at fries, if you have one in your area.
fyi i also have slow broadband

Yes, its best to run it with an ethernet option if possible. Otherwise, invest in a router and connect via that.

If you're stuck with the USB, then see if there is any new drivers for the modem

maybe reinstall your USB drivers by navigating your way to Device manager, and uninstalling everything under "USB", then restarting the pc and let windows find its own drivers..

Samputer said:
Hi Guys
i have posted this before but i think i did a very bad job at explaining it so here i am again, i would appreciate any help whatsoever you could give me so here goes...

I have numerous Computers, none of which are networked and i am on 576kbps broadband all of them seem to run the broadband fine and i get good speeds (well as good as i can get in my area:( )

But when i put it on my laptop it seems to run very slowly the handshake (as on all of them which is confusing is 1.1mbps ) but the speeds i suspect is much much slower because for example something i am downloading this morning (although this is approx the same for all downloads) it took me 20 minutes to download 2 meg.

Also the modem seems to restart itself, the sagem f@st 800 is my modem and it reintialises the line and disconnects the broadband periodically (it seems to be as i transfer more data)

I believe it may be a problem with the USB port (i only have 1) as it would disconnect and reconnect my ipod and flash drive etc before, however it says that it is only using 400ma

Tbh i am pretty unsure about whats going on and any help would be greatly appreciated

Thanks all!

Your friendly neighbourhood Samputer

Buy wired or (wireless PCMICA 32-bit ethernet card requires wireless router.

Thx

thx every1 i will do that then thx for your help - atm i have set up a basic peer 2 peer network with anuver pc until i get a router and its working like a dream thanks for all ur help!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back