Very strange PC freeze

Elias

Hello there. For a very long time now I have a problem with my PCs. I say PCs because i have changed almost everything and the problem persists.

First PC:
AMD Athlon 3200+
MSI k8n-neo platinum
2gb kingston ddr1
G-force 7600GS
Maxtor sata 150GB

The problem is that when I play 3d games such as WoW, Starcraft2 and League of Legents the PC freezes and reboots. It may happen anytime such as after 5 minutes of gaming or maybe never happen (a bit rare though).

As this pc was a bit old I thought that this could be the problem. So I changed to this one:

Second PC:
AMD Phenom II X6 1055T
Gigabyte 870A-UD3
4gb kingston ddr3
ATI Radeon HD 4800
WD sata 3 750 GB
Powersupply Thermaltake 700W

I have changed the monitor too but the case, keyboard, mouse and speakers are still the same.

The problem is still there. I really dont know what else to do. If any of you has a suggestion would be very helpfull.

P.S. I have tried windows xp, windows 7 32bit and 64 bit.
P.S.2: I have unplugged the dvd rom and the floppy.

Are you running the same security software on both PCs? What security software do you use?

Both ESET and Avast are excellent choices. See if the following helps...

1. Go to our Download section and click on Utilities and then download Driver Sweeper 3.1 to your desktop screen and install.

2. Download the latest diver(s) for your video card but don't install them.

3. Uninstall your video card drivers and reboot your PC into Safe Mode. Run Driver Sweeper and remove ONLY the video card drivers. I had someone use it on their chipset drivers! If it doesn't find any video card drivers that is quite okay; just leave all other drivers alone.

4. Reboot and install new video card drivers.

Yes I have checked the temperatures and all seem nice.
CPU: 32-34(in Windows), 38-42(in games)
GPU: 70-72 (whatever I do)

All this time I have been checking them with core temp by alt-tabing during gameplay. Yesterday I downloaded an addon for core temp called VCtemp witch can show temperatures and can be always on top during gaming. The strange here is that if I run VCtemp, the PC won't freeze. If i close it and play a game, the pc will freeze as usual. I have been testing this all day and seems to work. Amazing but could someone explain me why this happens? I don't have a problem to live with VCtemp in my hug but I can't understand the reason.

Route44 I will try a few more days the VCtemp theory and then I will check the drivers issue with your way.

The whole VCtemp thing is a strange one! I have never heard of your unique issue before. Please keep us updated.

OK guys. I really can't understand this. All this week I have been testing this VCtemp "theory" and it is working. Whenever I close the VCtemp and play a game, the pc will freeze after some minutes. If it is running in the background, everything is ok. I can not say that my problem is solved because I dont know the reason of crashes, but I am fine with this for now. I hope sometime I will find out the problem and then I will let you know.

It has not been installed. I simply run the exe file.

I was wondering if there is a BSOD but I could not see it because of the frozen pc. So I installed the BlueScreenView program. Being not familiar with this program I thought that this must be running in the background at the time the pc will crash. So I let it running and launched the League of Legents game (without running the VCtemp). The PC did not crash. So I realize that if there is another application running, everything is ok. On the other hand, playing wow I have used ventrilo or mumble or even left chrome open but the pc crashed.

So what is common between VCtemp and BlueScreenView that prevent the pc from crashing, and any other program (I have even tried leting Word or Excel open) will make no difference and the pc will freeze?

Back