Vgc-ra710g

Status
Not open for further replies.
I recently replaced the power supply with a unit directly from Sony. After installation the CD drive door continues to open and close. I contacted Sony and they assured me there is no reason why simply changing the power supply would have done this.

The power supply was supposed to be a identical replacement of the original. Any ideas on what may cause this?

Thanks in advance.

I'm not an avid Techy but the rest of the computer functions normally. floppy, Media Center and such. Would this be normal if the motherboard, or IDE was shot?

How is the CD connected? As the primary IDE slave or is it on it's own secondary IDE channel?

I'm not sure. It's actually my son-in-laws PC and I don't have it with me. I am trying to work with him via phone so it is a bit difficult. I had him check the bios settings last night and he said it is showing it as the secondary master. I had him check device manager and it doesn't show any cd drives there.

Try another drive, see if the same thing happens. My computer at work has some cheap cd burner in it and occationally it will go crazy opening and shutting the drive door. Sometimes only does it once or twice, sometimes it carries on for 5 or more minutes.

Do you think it would do any good to change it to slave or cable select? I don't recall ever setting one up as master. I will also have him try another drive.

h

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back