Video captute card and system tweaking

Status
Not open for further replies.
Has anyone experience with video capture systems?
I recently put a Geovision capture card in my Acer Power APFH ( 3.2 Gig/80 Gig HD )and it really eats up memory. ( 1.99 Gig DDR2 RAM )
Another thing is my limited knowledge of computer structure.
I understand when I read that a certain processor is advertised at 3.2 but actually performs at 2.6, etc. Like automobile milage claims.
What I would like to know is what I can do to improve performance?
If that chip in this machine is replacable, what would be better?
I have a background in electronics, and I am handy with tools ( 35 years as a Tool & Die maker ) And this is not even my first computer. I have owned more than a dozen and put in various cards and drives; modem, video, capture card, floppy, etc.
From what I read here, there are some pretty savvy people out there.
What can I do on a budget? Am I trying to do too much with one computer?
On this same computer I have the Video surveilance card and software, I have designated it to the 'back' drive of my 80 gig that is partitioned 40/40.
On the front half, I am running several programs, including a great DVD/CD RW drive, all the Kodak EasyShare 5100 stuff and a couple of video editing programs. I also have Norton's 360 program slowing things down, but I once upon a time had this horrible confrontation with the devil in Trojan in THREE of my computers the same weekend. ( I learned the value of 'backup' that day. )
So whatever advice you care to share, I am all messageboard or email: Ironwulf@withagun.com
Thanks

The processor is an Intel Celeron D 3.2 Gig.
I actually found TechSpot doing a net search using the query:
Intel Celeron D 3.2 Gig VS Pentium 4.
What I want is efficient SPEED and multitasking capacity.

For starters, the best thing you could do is get rid of that Norton rubbish bloatware, below is some instructions that will help.

Download either the free AVG or Avast antivirus programmes and either the free Zonealarm or Kerio firewall programmes from within this link - https://www.techspot.com/community/...lware-removal-preliminary-instructions.58138/

Then, disconnect from the net and completely uninstall Symantec/Norton. If you have any problems in uninstalling the programme, take a look at this thread - https://www.techspot.com/vb/topic57112.html

Once you`ve completely uninstalled Symantec/Norton, reboot your system and install whichever firewall programme you chose, followed by whichever antivirus programme you chose. Reboot your system the required number of times and reconnect to the net. Run the antivirus updates.

Doing the above will help for sure.

Thanks. I have had some suspicions of that massive program. I believe I had AVG on another computer. Would you recommend AVG PRO ?

I think "all in one" security programs are a bad idea personally because if one part gets attacked you tend to loose the use of the whole thing.

I personally use separate programs and the fact I'm learning to do malware removal means i have weighed the pros and cons at length and done quite a lot of research.

I have a regimen on my pc that seems to be very effective and doesn't eat up all my resources as Norton does.

I will add that some of the software i use isn't free, but the free ones in the link in my last post are tried and tested and work well.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back