Video card cooling

nik11105

Hello,
I have recently bought an Asus HD6950 and flashed it to a HD6970. With that flash my temps have gone up to around 85~86`C so i was thinking of getting a aftermarket cooler....... but, I cant seem to find one that suitable for my needs:

1. It has to be a dual slot cooler because i am definitely going to go crossfire in the near future

2: It should preferable be quiet but also cool well. If i need to sacrifice quietness for cooling, so be it.

3: it has to fit my HD6950/6970 (duh!)

My PSU is well able to handle and extra power sources (1000w overkill i know...)
So any suggestions???

Thanks,
Nik11105

I doubt you'll find an aftermarket dual-slot air cooler for the card. Ideally you would need something along the lines of Gigabyte's Windforce, or PowerColor's PCS+...which of course are proprietry designs.

Did you flash the 6950 to full 6970 spec (shader and memory), or did you just unlock the shaders? The latter is the preferred method since you can manually overclock the memory in any case.
If you flashed the BIOS to send the memory to 1375MHz (5500 effective) then I'd suggest a full cover block.
Danger Den full cover block
Swiftech full cover block
EK 6970 (and 6950) full cover block
Watercool Heatkiller full cover block
Koolance full cover block
Aquacomputer full cover block

If you flashed shaders only then you could also look at a GPU block and just add a ramsink kit to the memory and VRM...for example:
Swiftech GPU block
EK GPU block
Swiftech ramsink

ye i unlocked the shader and overclocked the ram. Do you have any certain parts that you would recommend for a gpu only loop or mabey a gpu - cpu loop for under 200 POUNDS, i live in England and shipping from America is expensive.

The kit is going to be dependant upon your chassis to a certain extent. For a card (or two card) loop I would recommend no less less than a 240mm or 280mm radiator. I'm not fully up on UK etail/retail stores, so you may find comparable solutions cheaper elsewhere.
EK full cover block 6970/6950 (Copper+plexi) £65
XSPC X2O 750 ( Dual bay reservoir + pump) £60
Alphacool NexXxoS Xtreme II 240mm Radiator £38
G1/4" High Flow Barb Black Nickel Plated - 1/2" Hose Tail (x2 for reservoir) £2.64
1/4" Thread Compression Fitting for 1/2" ID - 5/8" OD ( x4 for graphics card and radiator) £12
Tygon R3603 1/2"ID 5/8"OD Hose Clear 1 metre £6.42
Silver Kill Coil (anti-bacterial) £4
Feser Aqua Cooling Fluid (bi-distilled) Ultra Pure Water 1 litre £4.75

Total should be around £192 + shipping cost.
Add in 2 x Coolermaster 120mm SickleFlow R4 Fans (Red in this instance) @ £ 5.59 each for the radiator ( or 4 fans in push-pull if the chassis/budget will support it) if you don't already have serviceable high-flow/high static pressure fans.

If you wanted to add CPU cooling into the loop, I would recommend going with a 360 or 420mm radiator ( or 2 x 240/280mm, or 1 x120mm + 1 x 240/280mm). You would also need to factor in a CPU block, and a couple of extra fittings. It's very doubtful whether you could put together a CPU+GPU loop for around £200 even if you used generic/entry-level components.

I checked pricing at Scan, Overclockers.co.uk, and Overclock.co.uk also. Either availability/range was lacking or the pricing worse than The Watercooling Shop and SpecialTech.

The components should work fine together, although the reservoir is a little on the low fluid capacity side for my liking- BUT, for the price you're getting a good end product. The pump should be pretty quiet. I don't know anything about the fans- never come across the model before.

Back