Video Card Going Bad? Or something else?

Status
Not open for further replies.

mstpaintball

I'm not exactly sure whats wrong with my computer, but I think it may be my video card. Tell me what you guys think.

During times of load (for example, playing World Of Warcraft), my computer will freeze, and then continue on. During playing WoW, I get stuff on my screen from time to time, that I would call blips or something that looks like tearing.

It appears that whatever the problem is, is that its getting worse.

Now when even doing something simple like browsing the internet the computer will freeze, and I will constantly lose my signal to my monitor, and then it will show back up with the screen being gray/blue or just garbled junk.

Then the computer will reboot itself over and over.

The only thing that fixes it, is to let the computer stay off for a few minutes, then boot it back up.

Being that my monitor keeps losing it signal and getting it back, I would figure its my video card?

I at first thought it was my power supply, so I just bought a new one from newegg, and installed it yesterday, but it didn't fix the problem.
New Power Supply: XCLIO GREATPOWER

I built this computer myself probably going on 8 months ago, and have never had a problem until about a month ago or so. And it has just gotten worse and worse.

Setup:
Windows XP Home
E6600
GIGABYTE GA-965P-DQ6
G.SKILL 2GB DDR2 800
Seagate Barracuda 320gb 7200rpm SATA
XFX nVidia GeForce 7950GX2 1GB 520 Version
NZXT Lexa Case

Latest bios, drivers, everything. And I didn't try to update them again until these problems started to show up.
And I never overclocked anything.

I was thinking about upgrading anyways, but would like to resell whatever hardware is still good lol, to help make up for the cost of upgrading. But I'm not prepared to upgrade as of right now.

Any help would be very appreciated.

Thank you.
-Steven

This is called Artifacts.I had the same problem with my video card, For me to fix the problem i had to buy a new one, but there are other resons for this too. Not sure if over heating can cause this but u might wanna try updating drivers, and if you just update try rolling back to the old one.

Hmm, well I went to XFX's website and downloaded drivers off there today. I've always went to Nvidia.com to get drivers for all my Nvidia cards, I had a BFG 6800 (cant remember the exact model, the high end one though) and always got drivers off Nvidia's site.

Since getting the drivers for the 7950GX2 off XFX's site, I have yet to have any problems.
I first went to Nvidia and their driver said that it wasn't tested with this card or something like that. So I went to XFX and when their driver started to install it said that it was older than the current version, I just selected yes and continued install. So far so good.
I got on WoW for about a hour and no problems as of yet.

I love this card, and wouldn't mind getting another when I upgrade and do SLI (or Quad SLI since it is 2 cards in one).

Thanks for the help.

-Steven

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back