Video Card temperature getting real hot?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Exhonour

I installed COD4 today, enjoyed the game and was surprised it ran smooth on my Intel Celeron D, 1gig RAM, and 7600 GS 512MB video card. I turned it down to look at temperatures and noticed they are getting really high. Highest I've seen it go was 89 Celsius. It DRASTICALLY rises to 70-80 right when I start up the game. Then it varies along 65-85. If I minimize it, it drops quick, really weird lol.

My CPU temperature on the other hand is staying normal, max Ive seen it was what, 45 Celsius?

Is COD just too much for my older video card? Or is my video card simply dieing?

The computer/video card doesn't auto shutoff, and I don't see any game play problems, but its still worrying me >.<

BTW the card has a heat sink and all the fans in the case are working. What Ive noticed tho, is that the heat sink is pointing down in the case (i think its the opposite? but w/e not the point) and that leaves the power supply fan and small fan at the side to work, it kind of seems like they dont really help. Ive tried removing the case but it doesn't do much anyways. Also my idle GPU temperature is about 55-62 Celsius most of the time.

Ok well How many fans are in your computer? Also have you tried and software to change the fan speed on the video card?....

Software didnt work, I tried speedfan, rivatuner, and evga precision software. Theres a fan at the back, power supply, and the cpu fan with a tube.

Your video card is overheating badly. Does this happen with COD4 or with all other graphically intensive games like BioShock? GPUs usually have a higher tolerance for heat than CPUs, but it shortens the lifespan of the card. Since it doesn't seem like you have a warranty on the card (assuming you bought it more than one or two years ago), try getting a cheap aftermarket heatsink for it like this one, assuming you have a PCI-E 7600GS. Also, try adding more fans to your case if possible. I'd recommend at least one more fan in front to suck air in and another on the side panel as an exhaust fan.

Yes I can help but it will cost u dosen't it always. First of all I've got a Radeon ATi card in mine which is extremely overclockable which won't help your heat problem but when i mounted a 120mm fan on my case at the bottom left side near to where my graphics card was it ran quite and i could enjoy overclocked performance without worry you may need a fan speed controller as well 4 ur PSU. U could always buy a new case 4 the computer which veries, some come with large fan mounts. I also took the fan off the Graphics card and cut a alloy heatsink to fit and i pre cut a piece of plastic drain pipe and attached to the inside of the case fan to direct airflow. But u can easly buy Graphics Cards which have no fan and only heat sinks which are good if u have large case fans already. I find if you can direct the airflow on the right components which need extra cooling the less fans r needed which means less power consumtion. As components work harder more power is needed and more components also means more power drain. Less components like fans extra means less power drain an more reserve for overwork components like i.e graphics card. PSU over 400watts are expensive.

maybe you want to try this:
take one of the fans and put it underneath the videocard,
blowing air towards it.
make sure there is some space between case bottom and fan
you will probably have to create "a solution" yourself.
(got kids?try LEGO bricks...)
hope I got it right - your card is "heat -sink only"?no fan mounted to it?
otherwise forget my advice,keep on playing till it fries,and get a new one
they are so cheap .....;).

Your video card is overheating badly. Does this happen with COD4 or with all other graphically intensive games like BioShock? GPUs usually have a higher tolerance for heat than CPUs, but it shortens the lifespan of the card. Since it doesn't seem like you have a warranty on the card (assuming you bought it more than one or two years ago), try getting a cheap aftermarket heatsink for it like this one, assuming you have a PCI-E 7600GS. Also, try adding more fans to your case if possible. I'd recommend at least one more fan in front to suck air in and another on the side panel as an exhaust fan.
I wouldnt know because I assume my computer wont run those games. Games like CSS stay at constant 62-64 celcius unless its really hot in the room, so only a slight increase. The card was bought about a year ago im guessing no warranty. The case right now wouldnt support any new fans and Im not sure how to connect them (<.<) because the wiring of the power supply I forgot all of that. Im not even sure if my 500W power supply can take any more load.

maybe you want to try this:
take one of the fans and put it underneath the videocard,
blowing air towards it.
make sure there is some space between case bottom and fan
you will probably have to create "a solution" yourself.
(got kids?try LEGO bricks...)
hope I got it right - your card is "heat -sink only"?no fan mounted to it?
otherwise forget my advice,keep on playing till it fries,and get a new one
they are so cheap .....;).
I might try that, its a cheap solution but I can take off the small side fan and try putting it underneath the card (theres some space there). And yes the card only has a heat sink on it.

Im thinking of buying a new computer soon with an atleast 8 series nvidia, dual core, and 2-3 gigs of ram. I dont think this card will last very long.

Btw I guess u could say im a kid, im only 15 ;)

EDIT: took off rear fan, its small but w/e, i flipped it so it carries air at the video card underneath, and I opened the case cover again. Computer been running for 15 min and temp of GPU is staying at 48 celcius. CPU generally the same but HDO is rising.

After play COD4 the gpu temp was max 60 celcius, better then 89 right?

hi exhonour.
looks as if it helped.
there certainly are games pushing your hardware to the limit,altough CoD4 does guiet well
on older hardware,it will utilize all it can get from your pc.pushing temps to unknown hights.

but please, before planning on buying a new videocard/or entire pc :
make sure you buy the most energy-saving components you can afford.
and that kind of discloses a 8800 gpu....
if you prefer nVidia,get a 9xxx(starting from 9600,sky is the limit - 9800gtx+;depending on
amount of money you can spend)
or,if ATI matches your taste, get at least a 3850/3870,depending on your monitor(solutions needed)there is simply no need to get an Uber-card when you stick to resolutions of 1200/1000 or even 1000/700.
and if you buy a 4850 from ATI - don`t worry about the temps it produces.in 3d mine gets 86 C hot;sometimes even more(on stock cooling)but 100 C is still "o.k".....says ATI.....
saving energy means saving money and saving environment for the kids you might want to have some day.
hope this was helpfull.

Video temperature ?

I have read this ? many many times.I have had many video cards.
Please oh please tell me where or how to check it's temperature.
PLeeeeeze :confused:

hi exhonour.
looks as if it helped.
there certainly are games pushing your hardware to the limit,altough CoD4 does guiet well
on older hardware,it will utilize all it can get from your pc.pushing temps to unknown hights.

but please, before planning on buying a new videocard/or entire pc :
make sure you buy the most energy-saving components you can afford.
and that kind of discloses a 8800 gpu....
if you prefer nVidia,get a 9xxx(starting from 9600,sky is the limit - 9800gtx+;depending on
amount of money you can spend)
or,if ATI matches your taste, get at least a 3850/3870,depending on your monitor(solutions needed)there is simply no need to get an Uber-card when you stick to resolutions of 1200/1000 or even 1000/700.
and if you buy a 4850 from ATI - don`t worry about the temps it produces.in 3d mine gets 86 C hot;sometimes even more(on stock cooling)but 100 C is still "o.k".....says ATI.....
saving energy means saving money and saving environment for the kids you might want to have some day.
hope this was helpfull.

I cant afford anything over the 8 series, those computers usually cost 900+ Im hoping to find a computer atleast around 500-700 with an nvidia card and not a stupid intel card -.- I havent seen any ATI cards in computers yet. Im really hoping I can get a system without having to upgrade the card, I still might force myself to use 7600 GS from this computer because I dont like the Intel cards. Im mostly going for a new processor, celeron is ancient and crap :S

And thx you have helped, althouhg its temporary, the case has to be open all the time and the fan can easilly fall and kill itself :p O and those ati temperatures are crazy xD Cant believe a card can go up to 100 celcius.

Not in the bios

Look at temperatures in BIOS or download sensorsview pro or speefan.

If so i wouldn't ask.It's motherboard temps there.
I also have asus Probe11.
I guess i'll need to google,Thanks
But where do you get yours ? I'll try it first .:)

If so i wouldn't ask.It's motherboard temps there.
I also have asus Probe11.
I guess i'll need to google,Thanks
But where do you get yours ? I'll try it first .:)
You download either of the programs and you get a reading in celcius/faranheit ASSUMING your motherboard is supported by one of the programs.
Such as:

I can say the same

What are you even talking about, I cant understand you at all. -.-
I'm quoteing you.Who are you quoteing.Thats not much of a reply.
Is there something you want me (zipperman) to explain better ?
I don't need or install the Catalyst Control Panel ....
The links for testing had too many warnings of useing.
:wave:

I don't either at times.

zipperman,
Please re-read your posts before submitting (or use Preview before posting)
Try to check your spelling, Acronyms are one thing, but spelling correctly is important
Try googling these programs, actually there are many threads posted here at TechSpot on which temperature checker
Don't but into someone's thread, without any support at all, create your own thread
Continually learn how Windows and HardWare work, before offering support.

This thread is about excessive heat to a Video Card
The user probably requires a PCI internal Fan Card, blowing directly on the Video Card. These can be bought (or googled for) in most computer places (like a computer shop)

Tough bananas

Good understanding members overlook bad spelling.This isn't English Class.Quote the bad words.
But i'm done.I explained my choice of reading my temp.
Back to Exhonour,it's his post.
Sorry if you feel i was off topic,i'll put you on my ignore list.
:wave:

Zipperman, did u find a program to read the tempt. of u're video card? if not this a good program "GPU-Z.0.2.1" it can be googled.

Post details

I want this answered first by exhonour and what tests his.
It just says,
You download either of the programs and you get a reading in celcius/faranheit ASSUMING your motherboard is supported by one of the programs.
Such as:
Then theres a picture.Picture of what ? I don't have it.

If you have a cumbersome little case with little airflow, the pocket of hot air the video card holds will cause this problem. Either buy a PCI Slot Fan or open the case up and aim a desk fan at the video card (works for me).

Info regarding Processor

Hiiiiiiiiii guys
I have an Intel core 2 duo E6320 Processor 1.86 GHZ which i have never overclocked since i bought it 2 years ago...........I haven't monitored it's temperature from begining but now when i accidently saw it's temperature on Sisoftware Sandra Lite i was shocked to see that it's around 68 degree celcious. However when i checked the temperature on my bios it stays around 51-55 degree maximum even on full load. But the sandra software still tells me that it's 68 degree. Then i removed the temperature sensing from my motherboard(Intel Dg965RY)by swapping RAM from DIMM A to DIMM B...........Now the Sisoftware sandra lite tells me that it is 51-65 degre C.........51 when idle and 65 on full load. I even tried more temperature sensing software like Sensor view pro etc. and they all tells the same. One more thing i don't have any GPU.....I mean i use integrated video adaptor(Intel GMA X3000). My PSU unit is 400 watts which i will be replacing wid Corsair VX450W. Now my question to you guys is this a normal temperature since i m using integrated video so the workload on CPU increases or my CPU has overheat problem?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back