video card upgrade for vista

Status
Not open for further replies.

bradthegreat

I just got vista a few days ago and discovered that my GeForce4 MX 4000 just isn't up to snuff for it. I'm running a Socket 754 K8mm-v MSI mobo, 1GB RAM, AMD Sempron 2800+, generic 350W PSU and of course, my woebegone GPU.

I will be buying a new system in about a year, but I would like to install Vista on my current box. I think all I lack for a passable performance is a decent video card. I was looking on Newegg at some GeForce 6600s and such. Would those cards be good enough for me? (I have an AGP 8x slot, btw). I don't really want to spend more than 75$$ on a card that will be replaced in a year anyways.

I installed Vista on a system running onboard GeForce6100, it worked fine. Two of the screensavers lagged, and it definately wouldn't be a gaming machine, but for the great majority of uses it was smooth.

I think the 7k series is a safe bet.

GeForce 6600s

I would say go for the GeForce 6600gt. You can find them for around 80 bucks, they will run VISTA without problem, and even allow some extra room for playing games. IMO it’s the best bang for the buck video card you can get for AGP.

I went for the BFG 7800 AGP about 6 months ago, and I LOVE it. It did cost me 220 dollars but has keep me from needing to upgrade to play even the latest games, Oblivion, Rainbow Six Vegas and BF 2042. I will prob build a new rig this time next year.

Good Luck

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back