Video chatting fails and disconnects Internet connection

I can't seem to skype or video chat of any sort (ie: aim video chat, facebook video chat, etc.) on my computer. Whenever I start skype or try to start a video chat on aim/facebook, it fails and my internet disconnects for everyone. I don't know what could be wrong. Using the same wireless internet, my friends are able to video chat on their macbooks. It seems like my computer is the only one that can't video chat. Video chatting works when I use a sprint internet card. I have a sony vaio laptop running on windows 7. Our router in our apartment at school is a D-link wireless N? In addition to this problem, my internet loves to disconnect randomly too...this problem also persists at home with my Cisco Linksys router (model WRT160N V3) and Speedstream 5100 modem.

please help! :(
Thanx!

O! so i think i may have isolated the issue with skype failing and my random disconnections....when i disable my norton symantec antivirus, i don't get disconnected and my skype works. however that would mean I would be defenseless if i had no antivirus...does anyone have any tips or suggestions on how I would be able to tweak the settings of norton or anything else that I may fix so that everything still works with my norton still enabled?

Remove Norton entirely and go for a free antivirus program like Microsoft Security Essentials. Google for it, or it is available using Windows Update

Back