Video slows down, stops, audio keeps going when watching all movie files

Status
Not open for further replies.
Installed
GeForce FX 5700
A8V Deluxe updated Bios (post problem, no fix)
AMD Athlon 64 3500+
2.2 GHz, 1.00GB RAM

XP Home Edition 2002
SP2

I have tried different players, driver, codecs, updating BIOS.

I can play one video (avi, wmv doesn't matter) and it works fine. Then the next one I play will start fine for half a second and then the audio keeps going and the video slows right down, almost to a halt, then the audio follows suit. My CPU is maxed at this point in time and everything is slowed right down, mouse pointer included. If I close the player (any player) the rest of the system resumes at normal speed.

I can play another movie succesfully by rebooting, or by changing the resolution on my monitor and then changing it back again (which is like slapping my video card :) ).

Any suggestions?

ok if ur cpu is maxed then it will move slow.
the only thing i can think of doing is close a process that takes up more cpu% than what ur player does. then when u run the player it should be fine.
however finding what u can stop and not stop is a challenge as well as finding the % of the processes.
basically u can either mess with ur processes to make ur cpu run better or get a new one.
-rok

Your CPU is very good. It's fast, it shouldn't have performance problems. Have you checked if you have any viruses or trojan horses? They can slow down your system.

Thanks wolfram and rok for your replies :)

TrendMicro 2006, and updated Spy Bot keep me fairly protected, so I'm almost certain that there are no nasties tying up resources.

Here's the process;

system working fine,
play video file,
video file plays,
everything is fine the world is a beautiful place,
stop video file,
play another video file,
cpu maxes out,
video slows down dramatically or player greenscreen,
audio eventually (30-60secs) putters out,
I try to steer the very sluggish mouse to the close player "x".

If I reset the resolution or reboot I can still get the player to work, (any player) but only once before the same problem occurs.

Is it possible that the video card is having trouble dumping memory?

pure frustratement...

Does your mobo have an onboard video solution? If so, I'd remove the Geforce card, remove all the geforce drivers, and enable the onboard video, just to see if the problem is caused by the video card.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back