Virus/spyware Problem help needed, please.

Status
Not open for further replies.

THERAP1ST

Ok my friend got some thing on his computer(by my friend I do not mean me) and when he turns on his computer he get to the screen where windows starts to load and then from what he told me he gets something like the blue screen of death and he cant get past it. I told him to reboot in safe mode but I don't know if it'll work. What I'm wondering is what is it and how can I fix it for him. I was thinking of a full system restore but that takes forever and this may be fixable with out that. I get more detail about it when I can.

Tell him to try starting the computer with the last known good configuration. Hold f8 at start up and select that option.

If your friend cannot boot into safe mode, you may have no other choice but to reformat and reinstall.

Please let us know if your friend can boot into safe mode with networking.

If he/she can, then we might be able to get rid of the virus infection.

Regards Howard :)

Ok I think my friend still had no idea how to reboot in safe mode after I told him how. But anyway I had him bring his computer to me to see if I could fix it. This is what happens, I wanted to see exactly what he was talkin about, everything loads up it goes to the screen where it says that a recently installed hard/software has caused a problem and suggests to load windows in safe mode. When the timer on that screen is up it goes to a blue screen, not the blue screen of death, and it says

"A problem has been detected and windows has been shut down to prevent damage to your computer.

UNMOUNTABLE_BOOT_VOLUME

If this is the first time you've seen this stop error screen, restart your computer. If this screen apperars again follow these steps:

Check to make sure andy new hardware of software is propperly installed if this is a new installation ask your hardware of software manufacturer for any windows updates you might need.

If problmes contunue, disable or remove any newly installed hardware of softwar. dosab;e BIOS memory option s such as caching of shadowing, if you need to use safe mode to remove of disable components, restart your computer, press F8 to select advanded start up options, and then select safe mode.

Technical information:

*** STOP: 0x000000ED (0x86516900, 0xc0000006, 0x00000000, 0x00000000)

Oh dear, that doesn`t sound too good.

Try replacing the hard drive cable and see if that helps.

Also try running the manufacturers drive diagnostic utility. See HERE for a list.

Let us know the results.

By replace the HD cable I assume you mean buy a new one, correct? And I'm doing/trying a PC Recovery I've goten to the part where it says "All files, indcluding data files, on the user partition will be lost and then original factory-shipped files will be recovered to the user partition." The problem I have with this is that my friend seems to have lost almost all of his system CD's. What I've got is Microsoft Works and Money, HP vs15/vs17/vs19 f1705/f1905 LCD Monitors, LightScribe HP CD-R 52X,webroot Spy Sweeper, Norton AntiVirus 2005. Should I go ahead or would I need all the other system CD's? It's an HP Media center PC or HP Pavillion a1140n btw.

Yes, I meant buy a new ide cable.

Have you tested the hard drive like I suggested?

I recommend you do this before you try a recovery.

I'm having trouble finding the maufacture of the HD, and can I put the Diagnostic on a cd so that I can use in the computer?

I've been looking on the lable and I can't find any manufacture, and no i have not replaced the cable yet I will most likely do that later this afternoon.

When I was looking on HP's site to try and find out who makes the HD in the comp, didn't say just said it was a 250 7200rpm drive, I found a list of errors some people had had and the one my friend is having is listed there. Problem is he doesn't have any of his recovery CD's. So I found on Microsofts websit a wasy to obtain boot disks the problem with this is that it makes it sound as if I need to use floppy disks and the comp has no floppy drive. Link to MC's boot disks site

Link to HP's site about how to fix the problem

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back